Saturday, August 13, 2005

13 AUG 05: CHECK YOUR CARDS



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this humorous, serious, or a little of both - but from time to time, we offer things to reflect upon as we keep the seventh-day Sabbath.)



As I worked on a project at church last weekend, a thought suddenly occurred to me. Don't ask me how, but I started thinking about bingo games. No, I will NOT suggest my congregation start offering them to make extra money....



Here's what occurred to me - have you considered how life can imitate a bingo card?



+ At the start of life, we tend to simply "B." We'll B-1, then B-2....



+ As the ages go up, we often start focusing on ourselves. "I-m 16, I-m 17...."



+ Then many couples bring up children during their 30's and 40's - and get used to checking "N" for no, perhaps 35 or 45 times a week.



(Besides, during the "N" years those parents need all the free space they can get....)



+ Then come the years of wonderment - when many people say "G" as they turn 50 or 55.



+ The older years can bring their pains - as you hear people say "O" at 65 or 75.



Since the top number on the card is 75, life may feel like a game of blackout bingo. But the good news that you don't have to play simply that game. The Bible offers you a swap, for the game of "Sorry." Say you're sorry and really mean it - and eventually you can safely reach Home, and win. For good.



Your PayPal donations can keep this blog ad-free and independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-05 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.