Thursday, May 26, 2005

26 MAY 05: THE MAN UNDER THE BRIDGE



MEMPHIS -- Remember the caller to TalkLine Doug Kellett used to call "the man under the bridge?" That caller died a few years ago, but those men are still around. I met one here Wednesday night -- only he was at the top of a bridge, I suppose getting some sun.

BLOG SPECIAL EVENT: "HOMELESS -- Please help and thank you!" said the sign of the man at the end of the Union Avenue exit ramp off Interstate 240. I found out from a friend this morning Union Avenue has all sorts of homeless people. Maybe they should learn from the signs, and unionize....

"Food, shelter, everything!" was the man's reply when I parked my car to see what he needed. I couldn't ask him anything from the exit ramp, as he stood to the passenger's side of the ramp. This must reduce his business -- but then again, it probably reduces the number of spitwads in his face.

"How long have you been homeless?" I asked the man.
"A few years," Anthony answered -- and claimed he slept under a bridge. Even though I was in Memphis, I forgot to ask how many blues songs he'd felt inspired to write.

Since I was on the road, I didn't know where to go to get this man help. I was technically homeless as well, since I didn't have a motel room yet for the night. So I offered to get rooms for both of us -- separate rooms, in case he felt "everything" included all the items in my suitcase.

Anthony emptied his pockets for my usual weapon check, and they revealed at least three coupons for free Burger King hamburgers. So he really didn't need food -- especially not with a Burger King right down the street. Maybe helpful people have taken him there so often, he's earned a Frequent Panhandler's Discount.

Anthony told me the cheapest place to stay on Union Avenue was a Red Roof Inn near the exit ramp. Only with tax, a one-night stay for one person was about $55. A big pro golf tournament begins here today, and this place apparently wants the golfers instead of the caddies.

"We can put you in a two-bedroom for $49," the check-in woman said.
"No," I explained, "we only met about ten minutes ago." I may pick them up, but I don't lay them down -- under any definition of that word.

My budget for a motel stay was $40 a night. Anthony blew that up simply by standing on a corner asking for help. So with his keycard in hand, I wished him a good evening. "I'm going back to Arkansas," I told him, "where the motels cost much less."

"Some finances?!" Anthony asked as I headed for my car. Finally, a definition of "everything."

"You asked for food and shelter," I told him. "I gave you both of that" -- well, no, I misspoke that. He had coupons for the food. I gave him shelter. He wore clothing. I don't recall a full wallet being one of the "basics" of life.

So, you may be asking, why would I help this total stranger in a strange town I haven't visited in years? Because last weekend at a church in Kansas City, the pastor challenged us to look for ways in the next week to help others. Then help them, do it, and tell others about it. At least a blog lets me take care of step four....

BLOG UPDATE: Carrie Underwood beat Bo Bice to become "American Idol IV" Wednesday night. The librarian in Checotah, Oklahoma told me Wednesday I should leave town early. Now I'm wondering if any part of town is left standing, after the celebration.

BLOGGER'S NOTE: If all goes well, we'll be back in Columbus Thursday evening, and back to our usual format Friday.



Your PayPal donations can keep this blog ad-free, independent-minded -- and even pay for my road trip! To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-05 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.