Friday, January 27, 2006

for 28 JAN 06: DOWN WITH THE KING



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this humorous, serious, or a little of both - but from time to time, we offer things to reflect upon as we keep the seventh-day Sabbath.)



Ask some of my co-workers, and they'd describe me as a conservative guy. Ask enough people at the church I attend, and some probably would describe me as dangerously liberal. For one thing, I don't own any guns -- so at this time of year, I spell it "dear hunting" and look for single women.



I've been reminded at church over the last couple of weeks of how liberal some of "the brethren" consider me to be. Two weekends ago, I was Worship Leader on the weekend of Martin Luther King Day. At least, most churches call it that. We say "Song Leader" -- as if a Higher Power really is in charge.



The Worship Leader starts the service, with a few remarks and a couple of hymns. I mentioned the approaching M.L.K holiday, noted it was also the 20th anniversary of the death of our denomination's founder - and said both men showed bravery and courage. I didn't mention the two never met, and only one staged protest marches.



I never named either Martin Luther King, Jr. or the denomination's founder - but the passing reference was too much for at least one church member. That member didn't come to me about it, even though the Bible says you should "go to your brother." Maybe he thought I was a "bro" instead - and he didn't consider that good.



Someone else brought up that member's anger, as I walked into a discussion at church last weekend. "There he goes, praising that n*****r," the member was quoted as saying. Given my congregation's background, the only African-American man he might have accepted was Colin Powell.



Thankfully, the other people in the discussion were on my side on this topic. They said some members "need to grow up," instead of holding prejudice against Martin Luther King 38 years after his death. But then again, my Pastor declared during the service that the Roman Catholics never disfellowshipped Adolf Hitler.



Other members of the denomination I attend also object to Martin Luther King's glorified legacy. One has a blog in Tampa, and wrote the other day about all sorts of faults Dr. King had. It's a good thing King was never nominated for the U.S. Supreme Court....



I'm well aware Martin Luther King had flaws. But I'm also well aware that I do as well. Your e-mails of correction remind me of that. And thankfully, I have yet to be called before Oprah Winfrey for a televised public lecture.



Call me naive, but I try to examine both the positive and negative traits of people -- and learn from both of them. That goes for Dr. King, my denomination's founder, and even my parents. The latter explains why I don't smoke, don't swear - and don't hide a handgun under the front seat of my car.



By the way, I wonder if the church critics of Martin Luther King checked the denomination's web site - and noted almost nothing was posted on January 16. The denomination's home office showed some respect, and took M.L.K. Day off. And that office is in a city which didn't even have a pro basketball game.



COMING SUNDAY: The budget dance begins again.... or who robbed the firehouse?....



Your PayPal donations can keep this blog ad-free and independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 5440 (- 826)



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.