Tuesday, September 06, 2005

6 SEP 05: LAST OF THE SUMMER WINS



A group of local bloggers organized a trip to Golden Park Monday, for the final day of the Columbus baseball season. The event was arranged online in only the last few days. So much for assuming people who blog are always forward-thinking...



(You don't think these people read about my "Meet the Blogger Week," and decided to beat me to it?!?!)



I had other things to work on Monday, so I missed "Blogger's Day Out" at Golden Park. Those of you who went to the game may have recognized the bloggers -- getting their laptops checked at the gate.



In all, 1,088 people showed up Monday for Columbus Catfish "Fan Appreciation Day." And here's the strangest thing - a nice breeze was blowing, so the spectators didn't need any fans.



One of the Catfish executives told WDAK's Chad Goldberg the crowds at Golden Park this season were better than last year. I assume that means more people bought tickets - as opposed to fewer people getting arrested on Thirsty Thursdays.



Charleston beat Columbus 4-3 in ten innings Monday - which meant the Catfish ended the year with a nine-game losing streak. And the last eight of those games were at home! Were these players preoccupied, trying to rent their apartments to hurricane evacuees?



(Charleston's heading to the South Atlantic League playoffs - yet it used seven pitchers in Monday's win. I guess the River Dogs manager wanted to make sure all the hurlers had working arms.)



Monday's loss means Columbus finished in last place in the South Atlantic League Southern Division - in BOTH halves of the season. C'mon, Bobby Howard - don't you have some free time to coach this team from June to August?



Less than two weeks ago, the Columbus Catfish stood in second place in the Southern Division. Then came the nine-game losing streak - as if the team started watching Kansas City Royals tapes.



The wettest summer on record in Columbus affected the Catfish season. Three home games were canceled because of rain - yet the team didn't prepare for this, by having an umbrella giveaway night.



Reporters who follow the Catfish voted for several team awards. Brandon Carter was named "citizen of the year." Which means - well, what? Was he the only one who avoided getting a speeding ticket?



(What did the Citizen of the Year award earn Brandon Carter? He didn't enter Monday's final game until the bottom of the tenth inning, as a pinch runner. I'd think baseball fans would want to see good citizens - unless they refuse to sign autographs.)



Then there was first baseman Dan Batz, who was named the Catfish "unsung hero." He probably also won the prize for "best baseball name."



It would appear the future of the Columbus Catfish is bright. Team officials say they're trying to work out a new multi-year deal with the city to play at Golden Park. Of course, given what happened during the final home stand, that may not be a good thing....



BLOG UPDATE: Dozens of hurricane survivors moved into The Ralston Monday. The downtown apartment complex brought them to Columbus from Gulfport, Mississippi. Since the staff didn't use METRA buses, this may end those rumors about a big bus surplus.



Several people are asking why the old Phenix City Hospital isn't being opened as a hurricane shelter. I can think of only one good reason for this - and I hope Probate Judge Al Howard enjoys all that roomy office space.



A little restlessness is developing at the main Columbus hurricane shelter - but not from the storm survivors. Police were called Sunday night when a group tried to deliver food, and the Red Cross wouldn't accept it. Please don't take brownies -- they cause too much suspicion.



Did you hear the reports of someone breaking into cars and suitcases of hurricane survivors at the Super 8 Motel? I hope police catch whoever did this - and remind that person we're in Columbus, not New Orleans....



As if there isn't enough finger-pointing underway from Hurricane Katrina, Jerry Laquire turned on the American Red Cross Monday night. He told viewers to WCGT's "Final Edition" the agency hasn't provided anything but "ditty bags" of supplies. Doesn't a little ditty matter, when you leave home with none?



I take it Jerry Laquire hasn't stopped by the Benning Park SuperCenter, because American Red Cross staff members are all over the place helping hurricane survivors. He must think all that red is from graduates of Hardaway High School.



BLOG CORRECTION: It turns out O'Kassions bridal salon on River Road is NOT donating evening gowns and formal dresses directly to hurricane survivors [4 Sep]. It's taking donations of those outfits, then reselling them and giving the money to charity. So this is an upper-crust version of Goodwill Industries....



E-MAIL UPDATE: I'm out of my closet. Now the writer of the "Alleged Virgin" e-mail from last week emerges from hers:



Dear Richard,



Re. your emailer and your response [4 Sep], may i state that i did not think i needed to sign my name as my name is my email address ... but if i had it would have clarified that i certainly will own up to my letter, ( i was surprised when my letter did not have my name on it in your Blog, sorry didn't think about it).



BTW, the following emails from Craig, your response and my original email with your "Ode to Virginity" are once again your topic ... for those who do not care to read the rest of this email (in case you put it all in the Blog), my name is Deborah Owens ... and i still find a discussion of YOUR Alleged Virginity ????? to be an unusual baiting of a sexual subject in a "G" rated Blog.



BTW, if you are a virgin, I think many people may associate that announcement with (deviance/mental health?) issues as normal hormonal activity creates undeniable drives with inevitable consequences, etc. ... and i am sure you do not want people to think you are deviant ... as you are a Christian, etc. Richard, you are an absolutely likeable guy with good ethics and the joke is funny ... but in text --- no one knows if it is a joke ... and with your concerns about females or the lack of them in your life one is left to wonder if it is true. If it is true I want you to get some therapy as you do not need to talk about it with the uncaring public!



Oh, is your emailer the caller on Robbie's show ... the confused inarticulate one who is suffering from reverse-racism issues! He is the one who so lacks vocabulary that he calls everyone an "idiot" as if anything he has ever said is meaningful. He is needingly pandering to the white right and is a modern day uncle tom. He has no clue who he is as he has not had an authentic thought probably since he learned to be passive aggressive. He is so out of touch with his authentic self that he lacks normal reaction ... He is a sad waste.



Deborah Owens (PS thx for the spell ck)



Am I reading this correctly? If I'm a virgin at age 47 (and it's no joke, I am), I might have a mental health problem?! For once, I think I'm standing on the side of Catholic priests here....



As for getting therapy for my, uh, "condition" - I'll defer to what Brian Williams of NBC News said a couple of weeks ago: "I don't need a therapist. I have my blog."



No, I don't believe Craig the e-mailer is "the confused inarticulate one" who calls WRCG's TalkLine all the.... hey, wait a minute. Do you mean there's only ONE of those callers?!



Now other leftovers from the Labor Day Weekend....


+ Which local blogger just revealed her lover talked about marrying her someday - as they lay together in bed? Some young adults need to read romance novels, about the proper way to propose.



+ The annual Muscular Dystrophy Telethon on WRBL raised around $200,000. News team members went to any length to gain donations - including reporter Chris Sweigart wearing a giant pink hat. It looks like he's ready to cover next year's "Atlanta Pride" weekend....



(This year's telethon was held inside the WRBL studio, instead of moving to a downtown hotel. Is the Muscular Dystrophy Association low on money? Or are all the hotels booked for other stations' holiday parties?)



+ For some unknown reason, my atomic clock displayed a November 24 date - as if Monday was Thanksgiving, instead of Labor Day. Maybe that's what went wrong at WYFK-FM, where the Bible Broadcasting Network President gave a message for Memorial Day.



+ My older brother marked a birthday - and I simply couldn't resist. I called his home in Kansas and asked: "Could I speak to number 56, please?" At least I didn't call him OLD number 56....



SCHEDULED WEDNESDAY: Have I found my long-lost twin brother???....



Your PayPal donations can keep this blog ad-free and independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-05 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.