Saturday, June 25, 2005

25 JUN 05: THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND?



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this humorous, serious, or a little of both - but from time to time, we'll offer things to reflect upon as we keep the seventh-day Sabbath.)



"I could chew on a nail," another area blogger wrote about a U.S. Supreme Court decision this past week. When a court produces a "nail-biter" even after its opinions come out, that's probably not be a good thing....



Many bloggers (and probably others) are up in arms about a 5-4 Supreme Court decision on "eminent domain." The court ruled local governments can take over your property not only for public projects, but private development which will benefit local tax rolls. We're pleased to note NO mass evictions of Columbus residents were reported Friday.



The fifth amendment to the U.S. Constitution says private property cannot "be taken for public use without just compensation." Critics say the Supreme Court expanded governmental powers too far, by allowing land takeovers for things such as Wal-Mart stores -- and if it's Wal-Mart, you know the compensation will be at a low price.



The Mayor of Indianapolis appeared on PBS Friday evening, saying eminent domain is a helpful tool for developing cities. But he noted it's used only rarely, "because it's unpopular." I think he meant that tool - although some would say that of government in general....



(Keep in mind, things could be worse. Other people might try to take over your property, regardless of the government. Today, we know that approach as Zimbabwe.)



After pondering the Supreme Court's decision and the online reaction, several thoughts come to mind. The blogger I mentioned above called the ruling "the final nail in the coffin for the concept of private property." But hold on - who said your property was "private" to begin with? It really wasn't, even before satellite cameras started mapping your block.



I own some land in the North Georgia mountains, and might build on it someday. The land was paid off years ago - yet the "property owners association" in that development now wants me to pay $500 a year in dues. If I don't pay, it can put a lien on my land - hurting any chance I have for a major federal appointment.



So in that development, my "private property" really isn't my own. And ultimately, whatever the U.S. Supreme Court says, no one's property is. For instance, imagine trying to put a three-bedroom house in a casket....



Rush Limbaugh likes to say he has "talent on loan from God." In fact, every human being does. And for that matter, everything we possess comes from God. So are you doing anything with that stuff for HIM -- I mean, beyond a few bills in an offering envelope?



The Bible talks of promised future mansions - but if you're going to be resurrected as a spirit being and no longer be flesh, how badly will you need one? I doubt you'll need a car to get around. So at least you'll have more garage space, if you really have to have one.



To paraphrase a story I heard recently: the resurrection day came, and one man rose into the heavens much slower than the rest. He explained to an angel: "I invested in gold bars all my life, and I wanted to bring them into God's kingdom with me." The angel recalled the promise of a street if gold and replied: "You brought pavement?!?!"



My point of all this is you shouldn't fear what human governments can do to your land. Fear what an even "higher Authority" might want you to do with it. You might be surprised to learn He agrees with that 1980's rock song by .38 Special - "Hold On Loosely."



Your PayPal donations can keep this blog ad-free and independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-05 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.