Sunday, June 08, 2003

BURKARD'S BLOG






I searched on the Internet, and found no one keeping a blog about events in Columbus, Georgia. (Well, other than a 15-year-old high school student, and who knows how much he pays attention to the news?) So being the hip web-savvy guy that I am, I decided to start a blog of my own - chronicling happenings in the town I've called home for almost six years, as well as my experiences in it.



But be warned.... I used to have a humor service called LaughLine.com, so my views may be a bit amusing. And the views are my own -- no one has paid me to present theirs. Not yet.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



8 JUN 03: A NIGHT ON THE TOWNE



Part of Second Avenue downtown was blocked for awhile Saturday night, as police stopped cars so people could walk to the "Heritage Ball." In a Deep South city like Columbus, "heritage" means one of two things - and this one seemed to ean "white."



Guests apparently parked in the TSYS lot on the west side of Second Avenue, then crossed the road to the Heritage Ball in the front yard of an old home on the east side. The moneyed people get police to stop traffic, and help them across the street. The rest of us get a city permit for a block party IN the street.



(So why didn't they pitch a big tent and have the Heritage Ball IN the TSYS parking lot? Their nice shoes had to get muddy, after two days of rain....)



No, I was NOT invited to the Heritage Ball - where people wore fancy dresses and tuxedos. Apparently this blog is not yet on the status of a Marquette McKnight or Tim Chitwood column.



I encountered the Heritage Ball delay on my way to eat dinner at the "Old Mill Towne" restaurant on Warm Springs Road. The restaurant has been called Malone's at least twice in my six years in Columbus, and had another name I can't recall. This place changes names as much as Talbotton Road turns into Warm Springs, Gentian and Milgen.



At 8:45 p.m. Saturday night, there was NO waiting for a table at Old Mill Towne. In fact, parking places were easy to find. Maybe this restaurant should put an "Olive" in its name somewhere....



"My name's Rachel, and I'll be your server," she said at my table. A radio station program director in Kansas City taught me the proper way to respond to this. "OK, my name's Richard, and I'll be your customer."



I asked Rachel for a chicken breast platter - and as the menu promised, it came out sizzling. In fact, it was SO sizzling that I used the steam from the plate to disinfect my hands.



The platter with chicken, onions and red potatoes must have continued to sizzle for five minutes after hitting the table. Yet the woman who brought it out did NOT use potholders of any sort. Either she has tough hands, or she stands in the walk-in freezer first.



The Old Mill Towne dinner was quite good. And thanks to an "American Town Marketing" coupon, I enjoyed it for 20 percent off. Memo to WTVM: I'd use your "Big Blue" envelope of coupons if you mailed one to my zip code - or is this "Big Redlining?"



Wrapping up some other quick thoughts from Pentecost Weekend:



+ The play "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" was nominated for several Tony Awards in New York tonight. How thoughtful of them NOT to preview the production near the Ma Rainey house in Columbus (ahem)....



+ I watched the First Presbyterian Church Pentecost service on television this morning. Will someone tell the minister with a half-goatee he might want to take a break from TV, until it's fully grown?



+ Didya hear about the congregation that went to the beach to receive the Holy Spirit? It was Pente-COASTAL.