Monday, June 16, 2003



BURKARD'S BLOG



16 JUN 03: SUB-LIMINAL



I knew I would find it somewhere Sunday, and I did. There on the kitchen floor was a tiny Subway "Sub Club" stamp - the one I lost over the weekend, which deprived me of a free sandwich. Maybe Jared's exercise to lose all those pounds was walking around his house, to find missing stamps.



I rounded up my Sub Club stamps Saturday night at dinner time, after having them loose and unsorted for months. I had enough stamps for a free sandwich - if I could convince the staff the various colors were due to spilling a lot of fruit punch.



Eight stamps equals a free Subway sandwich these days - so I stuck the stamps on the card, put it in my pocket and walked from the bedroom area to the kitchen. Then I pulled out the card, and one stamp was missing! The worst part was, I couldn't blame it on a conspiracy by ANY political group.



I actually crawled around on the living room floor, looking for that less-than-one-square-inch Subway stamp. After all, a three-dollar sandwich was at stake here -- and believe it or not, I have not read ANY of Clark Howard's books.



I eventually gave up on the freebie, and walked a few blocks in the rain to pay full price for a Subway sandwich. I told the woman at the restaurant I'd probably find the missing stamp the next day - as indeed I did. Maybe I should have asked for a packet of honey-mustard sauce, to make sure the stamps stick.



Speaking of which: the woman gave me two Subway stamps and a new Sub Club card for my trouble. When I got home, those stamps had STUCK to the card from being in my humid wallet! At least God's not totally against me - because the stamps are stuck on the right side.



Subway sandwich shops can appear in some unexpected places. The last time I drove through Richland, there was a Subway
along U.S. 280 -- in a town where I'm not sure any of the residents ever have ridden ON a subway.



And another thing I've been forgettng to ask the folks at Subway: who or what is a "Chipotle?" As in that "ooo-eee, that is nice and spicy" Southwest sauce? Is that the first name of the guy in the test kitchen who invented it?



(And why doesn't "Chipotle" rhyme with "bottle?" Did this sauce cost Subway a tie-in with the movie, "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle?")



Now for some leftovers, on things other than sandwiches:


+ About 50 people pleaded NOT guilty to being involved with a cockfighting ring in Taylor County. In that part of the state, it probably is easy to divide the birds for matches - by white meat and dark meat.



+ As I had my oil changed, I took a short walk on Victory Drive - and as I passed a used car lot, I happened to sneeze. Thankfully, a salesman did NOT race out and declare it a sale.



(Before you ask - I walked down Victory Drive to go to Spectrum. ONLY Spectrum. Really. Honest....)



+ I was surprised to hear Chuck McClure still doing editorials on WRCG radio. But have you noticed he ends each one by saying it's for WCGT-TV 16? He MUST be upset by the new owners running Don Imus in the morning.



+ Just before "News 3 at 6:00" tonight, WRBL showed a commercial for a "stool softener" - yes, right at dinner time. Nothing can get you out of the mood to eat corn on the cob quite like this....