Thursday, November 23, 2006

23 NOV 06: TROUBLE AROUND THE BEND



Don't look at me -- when the police call came, I was several miles away. I was nowhere near the shooting, less than one block from my home. And no, I don't think it involved any of my neighbors who go hunting with their BB guns....



Columbus Police were called to 20 Fifth Street in the Historic District shortly after midnight Wednesday because of a shooting. It's down the street and around the corner from where I live. But I had been called for an emergency assignment, and missed the gunfire by about 20 minutes. I didn't even spit out the window in that direction, to leave any DNA.



At first, police thought the shooting on Fifth Street was the result of a drug deal. It's not yet clear if that's what happened -- because the man who was shot wouldn't answer any police questions. Waiting until Jim Wetherington becomes Mayor is absolutely the wrong strategy....



Police told the evening news 21-year-old William Tarver not only was shot in both arms - he was arrested after receiving hospital treatment. So he's at a real disadvantage, if jail inmates decide to work off Thanksgiving dinner with some fighting.



Police say William Tarver had some kind of "outstanding warrants" against him, so he was arrested after he was shot. That apparently explains why he wouldn't answer questions - unless he's suddenly decided to act like the City Manager with TV reporters.



For some reason, I was not all that stunned when I heard about the shooting on Fifth Street. It happened in the middle of a series of homes which were renovated recently, but still look very basic. There was a reason why you parked there, while the Riverfest party was among the nicer homes of Broadway....



I've jogged and walked past the homes on Fifth Street just east of Broadway. There was no sign that any criminals lurked inside. Even Wednesday afternoon when I drove by, a children's basketball goal was set up at the end of a driveway. But then again, maybe the children are mimicking gun-toting N.B.A. players like Stephen Jackson.



(Yes, I said "drove by." My Wednesday evening jog could have taken me down that part of Fifth Street, but I admittedly went a different direction. Someone might have stopped me, and checked for hidden police microphones.)



No police tape or signs of a crime were evident at 20 Fifth Street. A group of men was outside next door, preparing dinner as if nothing ever happened. They might sit out there and pretend to solve the world's problems - but what did they do about the one right next to them?



The only sign of trashiness I've noticed along that part of Fifth Street was a curious discovery several months ago. Someone tossed a thick glass on the lawn at First Avenue, like something used to serve beer in a bar. After walking past it a few times, I picked it up and took it home. If the Cannon Brew Pub lost it, they should put their logo on it.



But admittedly, my neighborhood has received visits from police over the years. Someone in my own apartment complex was shot several years ago - but it happened during summer, and my air conditioner and fans kept me from hearing anything. If the ambulance didn't blink red lights as it backed up across the courtyard, I might have missed the whole thing.



Some people have wondered over the years why I don't move out of the Historic District into a "nicer" part of Columbus. But I'm a short walk from South Commons, downtown attractions, the Riverwalk -- and besides, didn't the e-mails from "IsOurCitySafe" convince people there ARE no nice and safe parts of town?



So I give thanks for where I am on this Thanksgiving Day, while checking other items from Wednesday:


+ Fort Benning's commissary served a pre-Thanksgiving feast to soldiers. WRBL reported the staff prepared 9,300 pounds of turkey, as well as more than 3,000 pounds of prime rib. Being a general has its privileges, you know....



+ Columbus Water Works confirmed a spill at a Fort Benning plant poured about 20,000 gallons of sewage into Upatoi Creek. But officials said it was no environmental problem, and "not major." So much for asking their crew to clean up my next water heater leak.



+ Georgia environmental experts concluded the West Point water supply was NOT contaminated by anything last week. So how did that mysterious foam show up? Did someone find an ingenious way to save money on laundry day?



+ Alabama Republican leaders announced they'll support Auburn's Mike Hubbard becoming state G.O.P. Chairman. After watching the attack ads against Hubbard this fall, this could mean the number of defections to the Democrats will increase. All it will take is one wrong vote....



+ Alabama Athletic Director Mal Moore responded to all the recent rumors by saying, "All aspects of the football program are being evaluated." So Mike Shula might remain head coach, but with all the home games moving back to Birmingham.



+ Instant Message to all our readers: Since it's Thanksgiving Day, we give sincere thanks to all of you. You've helped this become the most talked-about blog in the area, with visitors from coast to coast and around the world. But I wonder if our visitors from Iceland think the crazy events in Columbus are due to the warm climate.



COMING FRIDAY: An e-mail check we couldn't make Wednesday night, because of Yahoo problems....



Thousands of visitors read this blog every month, in Columbus and around the world. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 3971 (+ 134, 3.5%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats