Friday, October 20, 2006

for 21 OCT 06: BABY, YOU'RE NO GOOD



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this item humorous, serious, or a little of both - but we offer these thoughts from time to time, as we keep a seventh-day Sabbath.)



You'd think the Presiding Elder at the church I attend would know better. Several times he's noticed something helpful I've done at a service and said, "You're a good man, Richard."


"No, I'm not," I politely tell him back. After three or four rounds of this, it starts to sink in - sort of like slowly learning the best ways around traffic jams during rush hour.



On the other hand, I really don't expect my co-workers to know better. One came to me a few weeks ago and said, "You're a good man."


"No, I'm not."


"Yes, you are."


"No, I'm not."


I think this co-worker was about to become exasperated - but I didn't dare turn away from my computer and toward him. He might have waited until we were face-to-face to tell me what he really thinks.



But at that moment of verbal standoff, something apparently clicked in the head of another co-worker sitting next to me. This person openly admits not knowing much about religion and the Bible - but she said, "I think the good has a capital G." That was very close. But it was a good try - with a small g.



Why do I deny I'm a good man, when people tell me that? I know people mean it as a compliment, but I know myself better than that. I've come to learn it the hard way - for example, when the compliments come only from men and not single women.



I came to realize I'm NOT a good man after reading something Jesus said to a stranger. The young man called Jesus a "Good Master" in the King James Bible - but Jesus answered, "There is none good but one, that is, God...." None?! Yeow, not even the candidates running for mayor?



Some people today might read these verses, and declare Jesus has serious self-esteem problems. But He merely was giving credit to Someone better, while talking to the young man. Compared with God, we're all pretty small and pretty bad. For instance, He can make a human in six days while most couples take nine months.



But here's the thing: the Bible indicates Jesus WAS God - even when he told this young man there's none good but God. Maybe He was testing the young man, to see if he knew who was making this comment. Or maybe He was showing a "good" amount of humility - something ordinary humans all too often forget to do. Or even Terrell Owens....



Looking back at the day when I surprised that co-worker by denying I was good -- it turns out I upset him about an hour later, over a very different matter. So the entire day should have proved my point to him. But claiming my thinking about NOT being good IS really good would have only caused confusion.



I wish you a good weekend, and appreciate your good comments about topics we mention on this blog. But please don't be offended, if I stop short of declaring YOU are good. Maybe if you write a thought-provoking Bible, that might change....



Thousands of visitors read this blog every month, in Columbus and around the world. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 5657 (- 973, 14.7%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats