Friday, November 04, 2005

for 5 NOV 05: GIMME A "JAY"



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this humorous, serious, or a little of both - but from time to time, we offer things to reflect upon as we keep the seventh-day Sabbath.)



In addition to singing a solo at the recent church convention in Panama City Beach, I sang in a "festival chorale." At the opening rehearsal, I was stunned to meet a young man wearing a University of Kansas T-shirt. He admitted being like many Kansas students past and present - and not paying much attention to the football team.



This Kansas student admitted some instructors gave him a hard time about leaving class for our "Feast of Tabernacles" celebration. I could relate to that, because I was dropped a grade in Concert Choir one fall for declining to sing in a Christmas Vespers program. No four-point-oh - and maybe no point made at all....



One of the songs our Festival Chorale sang included the word Jerusalem - and the conductor told us to pronounce it "JAY-rusalem." I doubt visiting choirs do that at the RiverCenter. After all, why give visitors to the Bill Heard Theater any hint about the Jay Auto Mall?



It was JAY-rusalem, as in the Kansas JAY-hawk. And it WAS a church convention, after all - so my mind started working, and in no time at all I'd reworked the Kansas fight song "I'm a Jay-Jay-Jayhawk." You can learn the chorus online, and follow along:



Well, it's in JAY! JAY! JAY-JAY-rusalem where our Savior shall return!



And it's in JAY! JAY! JAY-JAY-rusalem where the whole world then will learn!



On the Mount of Olives outside Zion he shall stand,



With all those who love the Lord, and heed His command.



Oh, it's in JAY! JAY! JAY-JAY-rusalem



Where God shows His mighty hand!!



Your PayPal donations can keep this blog ad-free and independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-05 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.