Tuesday, July 01, 2003

BURKARD'S BLOG






I searched on the Internet, and found no one keeping a blog about events in Columbus, Georgia. (Well, other than a 15-year-old high school student, and who knows how much he pays attention to the news?) So being the hip web-savvy guy that I am, I decided to start a blog of my own - chronicling happenings in the town I've called home for some six years, as
well as my experiences in it.



But be warned.... I used to have a humor service called LaughLine.Com, so my views may be a bit amusing. And the views are my own; no one has paid me to present theirs. Pressured, yes - but paid, no.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



1 JUL 03: UNLEASHED



As I plodded on my jog along the Riverwalk Monday morning, a mini-stampede occurred in front of me. Two dogs rambled down the hill around Sixth Street, with no leashes whatsoever. And if that wasn't bad enough, they completely ignored the sidewalk installed by city crews.



One of the two dogs even rolled on its back in the wet grass. Why is it that dogs in TV commercials never seem that willing to take a bath?



The unleashed dogs ahead of me forced me to make a decision. I could turn around, and let them have their way. Or I could keep going forward, risk getting attacked - but possibly walk into a big payday from a jury.



I noticed two women walking down the ramp toward the Riverwalk, after the dogs made their appearance. But for all I knew, those women might not own the dogs. In this day and age, they could have let the dogs out of a neighbor's yard in an act of liberation.



What would YOU have done, given this scene ahead of you? I chose to turn around and run the other direction -- which, given the church group I attend, raises even more questions. Did I show a lack of faith by not going ahead? Or was I simply reflecting carefulness and conservatism, the way my ministers preach?



There aren't that many signs along the Riverwalk advising people to keep their dogs on leashes. To be fair, the majority of dog-walkers use them. Sometimes I wish those other people would take their dogs to Macon County, and let them run at Victoryland.



Perhaps it's just as well that I turned around on the Riverwalk. I didn't run far, in part because of humid air from the approaching Tropical Storm Bill. That'll teach those people in the commercials to get angry at "Unexpected Bill."



To comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.