Tuesday, March 04, 2008

4 MAR 08: TRUDGE REPORT



Monday marked the start of a new campaign to promote exercise and fitness in Columbus. It's called "Walk Georgia." If that phrase makes you think of trotting to first in a baseball game, you probably need to take part in this.



The University of Georgia Extension Service is urging people across the state to sign up for the eight-week "Walk Georgia" plan, then commit to regular exercise. If you need a financial incentive to do this, I would remind you of something -- the average price of gasoline in Georgia is about $3.16 a gallon.



While you can exercise by yourself, Walk Georgia also works on the team system. Groups of four can combine their exercise minutes on a weekly basis -- so one person at a time can pretend to be a worn-out football player, and take a "bye week."



A computerized map on the Walk Georgia web site figures out how your group has moved, using a map of the state. Teams can win prizes for traveling the most miles, or "visiting" the most Georgia counties. Can we walk across Muscogee County at the northeast tip, by crossing Macon Road?



But it was disappointing to hear only about 30 people showed up at Lakebottom Park, for Monday's Walk Georgia kickoff event. It was held during the noon hour. The weather was wonderful for walking. Were that many people waiting by the mailbox for their Social Security checks, or standing in line to cash them?



Regular blog readers can probably guess where I stand on Walk Georgia. In fact, I don't stand - I move right on down the sidewalk....



There was a time in my young life when I didn't really exercise at all. But several people crossed my path, who sparked me to start working out. One was my high school choir teacher, who had me lift weights for the lead role in a musical. Trouble is, I've never been as good-looking as Zac Efron.



Then there was the college roommate who went running on a regular basis. While I seldom ran with him, he persuaded me to start jogging on my own. One fringe benefit developed right away - as a number of good-looking college gals did the same thing at the field house.



(Yes, I've done workouts inside the famous Allen Field House at the University of Kansas. But I stayed on the running track around the edge of the building. I never dared to step onto the basketball court, and risk getting laughed out of town.)



There were stops and spurts along the way - but I became a regular runner along the roadside, when I lived in northwest Oklahoma. And yes, I mean roadside. The course from my apartment at the edge of town had no sidewalk - and 30th Street sometimes had daring teen drivers, who wanted to fake me out and pretend to run me over.



Once I moved to Georgia, I actually had a big running goal - the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta. I wound up running and completing five of them. But I never went as far as some of the other runners, by carrying a large Bible with me for moral support.



We're actually nine weeks into 2008, as of today. But counting the first eight weeks of the year, my running alone totaled almost 84 miles. A couple of sessions topped the four-mile mark -- but I'd like to throw out President's Day, when the north wind was so strong that it almost pushed me backwards.



(That running score does NOT include slowing for "walking blocks," between sections of runs. It also doesn't include leisurely Saturday afternoon strolls in my neighborhood - where my only excuse for walking quickly would be if I forgot an umbrella, and it started raining.)



Based on a basic Georgia map, that 84 miles of running would take me from Columbus to within five miles of Albany. It's a good thing I did this in a virtual way - because once you get past Fort Benning, it's a long sprint between towns.



So exercising works for me, and I think Walk Georgia will work for you. In fact, I'd like to declare a BLOG SPECIAL EVENT - and look for three Columbus blog readers to join me on a team, for the next eight weeks. If you're interested, e-mail the blog by Friday. The deadline to register online is next Monday - so at least we're being given seven days to work up the strength to type in our names.



BLOG UPDATE: The first community forum was held Monday night, to promote Mayor Jim Wetherington's proposed one-percent "streets and safety" sales tax. But the turnout at Columbus High School was small - showing the city needs to schedule these forums between games of a baseball doubleheader.



People attending the sales tax forums are being given special keypads, for answering 30 questions about Columbus city needs. The proper answers may be used in advertising to promote the tax question. The wrong answers might be submitted to "Family Feud."



If I heard the late-night news correctly, everyone at the Columbus High School forum agreed public safety needs more money. But several people predicted the city will have a hard time getting voters to approve a one-percent sales tax for it in July. Mayor Wetherington is going to have to learn to smile, like never before....



Monday must have been an off day in Pioneer Little League, as no e-mails reached us about it. So we'll move on to other news of the day:


+ Wal-Mart clarified the opening dates for two new Columbus SuperCenters. The Airport Thruway store will open Wednesday, but the Midland store won't open until March 12. The reason for this is obvious - to avoid traffic jams of shoppers, trying to use Moon Road as a shortcut.



+ Phenix City School Superintendent Larry DiChiara revealed he's not allowed to do random drug tests on teachers. So there was no way to check accused "meth teacher" Elizabeth Brooks - and while schools might "teach to the test," at least the teachers don't go there.



+ Muscogee County Deputy School Superintendent Robin Pennock revealed the district has about 30 portable classrooms, which currently are NOT used for classes. Some are sitting empty. A few are used as storage space. And the construction crew on the new administration building have to eat somewhere.



+ "Read Across America Day" was marked by Alabama Congressman Mike Rogers. He read a children's book at Smiths Station Elementary School. No one dared to ask Rogers how many bills he's actually read in the last year.



+ Governors Sonny Perdue and Bob Riley both endorsed John McCain for President. Now, of course, the real political challenge begins. Whichever governor winds up with the most river water gets to be McCain's running mate.



+ Kid Rock pleaded NOT guilty to battery charges, stemming from a scuffle at a suburban Atlanta Waffle House. The courthouse bailiffs were especially thrilled to hear this - because they're dreaming Pamela Anderson will testify at his trial.



+ Instant Message to Warrick Dunn: My sympathies on the Atlanta Falcons releasing you Monday. You've been a great running back for a decade -- so hopefully no newspaper wise-guy will write a headline, misspelling your last name.






This blog has thousands of visits every month, from Columbus and around the world. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 731 (+ 12, 1.7%)



TRUDGE REPORT, DAY 1: 2.85 miles run, 0.75 walked



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author -- not necessarily those of anyone else in Columbus living or dead, and perhaps not even you.



© 2003-08 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats