Friday, March 21, 2008

for 22 MAR 08: IT'S NOT OVER WHEN IT'S OVER



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this item humorous, serious, or a little of both - but we offer these thoughts from time to time, as we keep a seventh-day Sabbath.)



Someone had told me the neighbor weeks ago that former neighbor Curtis had died. So it was quite a surprise to come home from church last weekend, and have someone else tell me he died only that day. Life and death is one of those little details you'd think people would get right.



We told you last spring about the man in apartment #5, who was weakened from cancer when he moved out [7 May 07]. Curtis McKelvey died last Saturday at Franciscan Woods, and his funeral was this past Wednesday. I attended the funeral in a suit, walked in carrying a Bible - and sure enough, a man at the microphone presumed I was a pastor.



I never realized until I read the funeral program that Curtis McKelvey had five children, 17 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. They didn't all visit him at once, during my years in Columbus. But a few showed up at curious times of the night on weekends, with some sort of issue to resolve.



The funeral program offered another surprise to me - that Curtis McKelvey "had accepted Christ as his personal savior." I have no idea when he did that. But I assume it must have been after October 2000 - the night he fired a shotgun from his front porch, after he had too much to drink.



There was a good bit of weeping at Curtis McKelvey's funeral. But the good news is that God promises a resurrection day for him. There's also a resurrection day promised for the three children of Agena Battle - and even for their father. When that day comes, somehow I think the father will have a few more questions to answer....



On this weekend when many people think about resurrections, you might want to read I Corinthians 15 and Revelation 20 in the Bible. That resurrection might be different than you think. And you might be stunned to learn there's more than one - a bit like those "second chance" brackets in the basketball tournament.



SCHEDULED SUNDAY: We search for a tent city, not far from Fort Benning....






To offer a story tip, make a PayPal donation, advertise to our readers or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 664 (- 83, 11.1%)



TRUDGE REPORT, DAY 20: 48 minute racquetball workout. Total: 65.5 miles run, 8.85 walked



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author -- not necessarily those of anyone else in Columbus living or dead, and perhaps not even you.



© 2003-08 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats