Friday, March 24, 2006

for 25 Mar 06: BEAT ME TO IT



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this humorous, serious, or a little of both - but from time to time, we offer things to reflect upon as we keep the seventh-day Sabbath.)



"I'M HUNGRY CAN YOU HELP" said the cardboard sign held by the man on Veterans Parkway Friday afternoon. Before you ask - no, the man did NOT look Hispanic and feeling the effect of that day off.



This hungry man was standing in a prime begging spot - on the sidewalk outside McDonald's at 14th and Veterans Parkway. So at least he knew where the food was. But when the extra value menu is too expensive, you're in bad shape....



I saw the man with his cardboard sign too late to turn into McDonald's and talk with him. My goal was actually to buy milk less than a block away. Spectrum has two gallons of Parmalat milk for five dollars right now - loaded into plastic bags so thin that you dare not walk more than one block with them.



It actually took me three Spectrums to find what I wanted: a gallon of two-percent milk. Other stores had whole milk or none at all - and I'd rather get fat on the two-for-one Hershey's candy bar special.



But then an interesting idea hit me. The Spectrum which had two-percent milk also had a deal entitling me to a free tube of peanuts. There's the answer - go back a couple of blocks to the hungry man, and give him the peanuts. I'd help meet his hunger, whether he liked it or not.



Yet when I drove back to 14th and Veterans to help the hungry man, he was gone - no longer standing on the sidewalk. My opportunity had passed in less than five minutes. It was as if that man was a human Kmart "Blue Light Special."



Where did the hungry man go? Did someone else come to him and buy him food at McDonald's? I certainly hope that was the case -- because otherwise, police cars are picking up "tramps" faster than I ever imagined.



Regular readers of this blog know I try to help the beggars I meet (three officially so far this year). What do YOU do for them? Do you wave at them and drive on by? Do you offer to pray for them - even though the only prayer that might really help a hungry man is in one of those "Command Mints" at Christian stores?



I've admittedly been too busy over the years to attend the "Empty Bowl Brunch" for the Second Harvest food bank, but events such as that are a perfect way to help hungry people. If they really want to eat, pantries are available for them across the Columbus area. If they're really hungry for apple wine, that's another matter....



Next time you pass someone like this along the side of the road, think about actually stopping to help them. And if you can't stop, think about how you can help in other ways. It would be great to leave the cardboard signs along the roadside for high school cheerleaders, holding car washes.



COMING SUNDAY: A prediction from January that's apparently coming true.... and what we saw on the "Day of Dignity...."



Your PayPal donations can build a better blog, and keep it independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 5867 (- 768, 11.6%)



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.




site stats