Saturday, January 03, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



3 JAN 04: DEPUTY DOGGED



At church today, I dared to wish an African-American man a happy "Emancipation Day." It took him a moment to figure out what I meant. What's that line about those who forget history....



(For the record: two African-American families and one single man attend church with me. Does that mean we're not a "white church?")



Perhaps unsurprisingly, my comment about Emancipation Proclamation Day led to a discussion between three of us about the Kenneth Walker case. One woman repeated a comment I heard during Friday's TalkLine: "If it were a black officer killing a white man, they wouldn't be talking about it."


"But that doesn't happen," I replied.


"How do you know that?" she asked. Hmmmm - is Sheriff Ralph Johnson covering up OTHER things?



The two people with me, one of them African-American, agreed nothing would have happened had Kenneth Walker opened his closed hand. Well, yes - but apparently not as much would had happened had the deputy who stopped Walker aimed a bit better.



After 24 days, Sheriff Ralph Johnson still has not named the deputy who shot Kenneth Walker along I-185. Neither have the broadcast media, even though an attorney for the Ledger-Enquirer seemed to name him in a Thursday article. Either some broadcasters are part of the cover-up, or they don't read the newspaper very closely.



I've heard at least one TV reporter knows the name of "Deputy X," but is waiting for the Sheriff to name him publicly. I don't quite understand the point of waiting - unless this reporter wants to get a job with China's news service.



(No, I have NOT been told the name of this deputy. That's why I've merely linked you to an article quoting the newspaper's attorney - because for all I know, the Ledger-Enquirer might have it wrong.)



Assuming the phone book and the Ledger-Enquirer are accurate, "Deputy X" lives on a Lee County road in Salem. So maybe that explains why the name hasn't been released - more people would be upset if they knew this Muscogee County deputy doesn't even live in Muscogee County.



I did a Google search tonight for the name mentioned by the Ledger-Enquirer's attorney, and found nothing good or bad about him. Someone with a similar name has worked with the Durham, North Carolina police - where the Duke basketball players tend to study too hard for anyone to profile them.



Now some quick things from an extraordinary January Saturday:


+ The high temperature in Columbus reached 70 F. - and my Pastor wished from the pulpit we had some cold weather. This man must not have any worries about paying his natural gas bill.



+ Paul Pierce had a book signing at Barnes and Noble for "The Springer Ghost Book." He claims the Opera House is haunted. I think he should look in the Yellow Pages under "exterminators."



+ Instant message to Ritmo Latino Radio: That's a nice looking van you have now - but why park it outside the Civic Center before a Cottonmouths game? The last time I checked, there were no pro ice hockey teams in Mexico or Puerto Rico.



COMING SUNDAY-MONDAY: We'll hand out awards to noteworthy people or things in the area. LAST CALL for
nominations.... write us ASAP....