Wednesday, January 28, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



28 JAN 04: SPANKY-PANKY



A grade school assistant principal near Warm Springs has been arrested, because he punished a troublesome kindergarten student by spanking. What's going on here? Are Meriwether County schools running low on Ritalin?



Anthony Crawford of Mountain View Elementary School is charged with abusing Chase Youngblood, by giving him a paddling. He had to post a $5,000 bond to get out of jail - and avoid hearing jokes from other inmates about being put in "time out."



Mother Debby Youngblood said Tuesday she gave permission for her son to be spanked at school - but the bruises on her boy's (ahem) bottom went too far for her. This family should be thankful it lives in Meriwether County. In Muscogee County, the principal might threaten to call a sheriff's deputy.



Anthony Crawford reportedly is back on the job as assistant principal at Mountain View Elementary. He hasn't even been put on leave, despite the arrest! Considering Crawford is African-American and the boy he spanked is European-American, now we'll REALLY see if area civil rights groups are color-blind....



The Muscogee County School District has specific rules for corporal punishment. Among other things, a witness must be present -- and spanking cannot be the "first line of punishment." I guess that means the student gets a long, boring lecture first.



So, you may be asking, where do I stand on spanking? Anywhere I can - because that way, it's easier to avoid....



I was never spanked at grade school when I was young - but a couple of times I was put "on the line." That meant while the other children enjoyed recess on the playground, I had to stand at the edge of the blacktop facing the other way. It turned out to be great practice for some of the surprisingly sexy moments nowadays on prime-time TV.



For years, I've heard ministers say spanking is necessary for teaching discipline - but they also say it should be done in love, not in anger. But then again, I've never heard of a mom or dad who kissed the spot before spanking it.



Here's what else caught our eyes and ears on Tuesday:


+ Former Tonight Show host Jack Paar died at 85. I mention this because practically my first childhood memory involves him. I sat in my preschool playpen in a bedroom on a sunny afternoon, and the name "Jack Paar" kept going through my mind. To this day, I don't know if it was because I woke my parents up at 11:30 p.m. one night.



+ Fourth Street Baptist Church had an unusual funeral - as parked right behind the hearse on Fifth Street was a stretch limousine. No, I don't know which rap star died....



+ At the corner of 11th Street and Third Avenue, a yellow Volkswagen smiled at me. Really, I can prove it! Now I know I've been working in front of computers too long.



(It's either that, or I finally found one of those cars which get nothing but Chevron gasoline with Techron....)



+ A Winterfield neighborhood group submitted petitions to stop a proposed car wash and detailing shop on 32nd Avenue near Cusseta Road. Neighborhood spokesman Willie Phillips said that business would have loud music, and "attract all kinds of people..." Well, we certainly can't have that - because that might actually bring Columbus together.



+ Columbus Council heard a proposal to set up a 3-1-1 phone number, for city services. I'm not sure this is a good idea. For one thing, residents might move to other cities, ask "what's the 311?" and get laughed at.



+ Russell County Commissioner Tillman Pugh was jumped from behind and mugged by several people. We hope the suspects didn't do anything worse to him - like utter some sexually harassing comments.



+ Governor Sonny Perdue was given a Georgia Force arena football jersey, complete with shoulder pads. He even put the uniform on for reporters -- which probably was a big mistake. Democrats already think he's padding the truth about his use of state helicopters.



(Why would Governor Perdue put on something like this? Only last year, he made such a big deal about losing weight.)



+ Instant Message to the Ledger-Enquirer: It's nice to see your Wednesday issue has an article on the missing live TV lottery drawings. I guess I can understand you not reading this blog for an entire week, since we mentioned it first - but doesn't your staff watch evening television, either?



BLOG-BLAH-BLAH: Did you go to Russ Whitney's highly-promoted Columbus "wealth building seminar?" We'd like your thoughts about it (good or bad), to share on the blog. Please write us with your comments.



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.