Thursday, October 11, 2007

11 OCT 07: IF YOU'RE GOING TO SAN FRANCISCO....



Well, among other things, you can send my greetings to a long-time friend I haven't seen since her wedding day [7 Oct 05]. Lyanne should have marked her 12th wedding anniversary last weekend - but then, I don't check supermarket tabloids the way I once did.



Our title is actually the first line of a classic "summer of love" song from 1967. The next line advises: "Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair." You can also do that in Columbus - but any thoughts of watering them in a fountain are gone for awhile.



There's at least one person in Columbus who actually wears flowers in his hair. Yes, HIS. I've seen him around town from time to time, with a head which literally looks like flowers are growing where hair should be. On a hot August day at a bus stop, he actually looked cooler than I felt.



This man apparently has a collection of "flower hats." The main color was blue when I drove by him at a bus stop a few weeks ago. On Wednesday, his primary color was red - and I happened to get a good close-up look, because I sat next to him at a public library. I came away convinced they're artificial....



The man wore a helmet full of red flowers at a public access computer, with the helmet strapped around his chin. I suppose it's similar to a camouflage helmet, like you might buy at a military supply store. But I don't think the "red hat ladies" would ever stoop to wearing it - they have better fashion sense than that.



The man sat at his computer, slurping occasionally from a large-sized plastic mug. He also was armed with a twin-pack of yellow cupcakes - but you're not allowed to eat food around the library public access computers anymore. The rule didn't change, even though the library's café is open again....



(The new "Bookmark Café" opened at the central library while we were on vacation. Yes, it IS selling sandwiches along with cookies and pastries. But if the good brownies are gone, it might as well be selling 20-year-old World Almanacs from the reference section shelves.)



I made it a point NOT to stare at the flower-helmet man next to me. After all, we both had our own things to do online. Occasional glances indicated he was watching music videos on YouTube. My computer sometimes was so slow in calling up web sites, I had to settle for setting record times playing Minesweeper.



I was hoping at some point to ask the man next to me why he wears the flowers on his head. But when my hour of library computer time was up, he was still focused on his videos with time to spare. What did he know that I didn't, about getting more than one hour at a time? Did he bribe the staff with other packs of cupcakes?



I decided not to interrupt the flowery-headed man, and went on my way. We could make all sorts of guesses about why he dresses the way he does, but the majority of them probably would be wrong. I know one thing for sure - he did NOT wear a shirt promoting any florists.



Let's see what else caught our attention, on a beautiful blue-sky Wednesday....


+ The mayor of Woodland was arrested by law officers in Talbot County. James Carter is accused of speeding and driving under the influence of drugs - which could put him line to become an administrator at a Talbot County school.



+ The second annual Hispanic Heritage Month breakfast was held at the Trade Center. WRBL showed a couple dancing a tango at the event. But it never showed whether Harmony Mendoza gave them a perfect score of 10, or something lower.



+ The Atlanta Thrashers lost to Ottawa 3-1. The Thrashers have yet to win in the new hockey season, and have scored only four goals in three games. Whoever invited the players to watch Atlanta Falcons games needs to stop it right now.



+ Instant Message to the Northside High School softball team: Did I see it right on TV -- you're wearing sleeveless tanktop jerseys? Which fashion show runway did that idea come from?



SONG OF THE DAY: For the first time, a blog reader has submitted a song! It borrows from Paul McCartney, and it comes with a note: "This sums up the way some have commented on the Columbus Government Critic."



Maybe I'm amazed at the way you complain at council all the time.



Maybe I'm afraid of the way I hear you.




Maybe I'm amazed at the way you dress out of line, and hung me on a line.



Maybe I'm amazed at the way we really see you.






Maybe I'm a fan, maybe I'm a crazy fan who's in the middle of something that I do not really understand.



Maybe I'm a fan, maybe you're the only one who could ever help council.



People, won't you help him make them understand?



(guitar solo)



Maybe you're a man, maybe I'm a crazy fan who's in the middle of something that we do not really understand.



Maybe I'm a fan, maybe you are not the only one who would ever help council.



People, won't you help make him understand?



Maybe I'm amazed at the way you're with a microphone all the time.



Maybe we're afraid of the way we leave you.



Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help make my point, right me when I'm wrong.



Maybe I'm amazed at the way WE really see who you are.



Oh, Oooooh






This blog has thousands of visitors each month, from people in Columbus and around the world. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 2572 (+ 70, 2.8%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-07 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats