Monday, January 22, 2007

22 JAN 07: TOWN TURMOIL



Did you hear the good news about Hurtsboro? The Russell County town is receiving a state grant of more than $125,000 for new park equipment. I had to learn this from the Friday evening news - because no one in Hurtsboro seems to be sharing good news like this with me....



I've learned more about Hurtsboro since the first of the year than I ever expected to know. In fact, I've learned some things that I'm not really sure I want to know. Some of these things would make a great prime-time TV drama - except "Desperate Housewives" already beat me to it.



If you've been following along in recent weeks, you may already know what's coming. We've heard again from the Russell County Constable who lives in Hurtsboro. I hesitate to write that he "serves" Hurtsboro, because many residents don't seem to think he really does.



Since our last focus on Hurtsboro four days ago, Robert Schweiger has sent us two e-mails and a "snail mail" about the town. It's now reached the point of naming names and making personal accusations -- and what makes this even more amazing is that the election ended two months ago.



We're choosing to edit some of Robert Schweiger's first e-mail, for reasons we'll explain below:



Richard:



I certainly am glad that I'm a contributing factor in your circulation! I'm a firm believer that Publicity is PUBLICITY even if it's inaccurate.



There's only one thing that concerns me! In the past, when I contributed to newspapers or appeared on TV they covered their posteriors or other parts of their anatomy with disclaimers or by requesting my sign-off. Now, I wouldn't want anyone to give you any skewed information - so why don't you come to either end of this ol' hoss - and ask me! My life is an open book!



But, if you like diversity - here's the names of four businessmen in "Hurt'sboro; who will give you an earful!.... I look forward to a rebuttal phase! I've tried to get these guys to a public forum on previous occasions - They and the City officials opted to spread propaganda and boycot those gatherings!



One more thing and I will leave it at that. The "Concerned" Citizen [17 Jan] said that I spouted "venom!" I prefer to call it "Truth" serum!



The man that lays down with dogs!



Constable R.J. Schweiger



If this Constable is suggesting "any publicity is better than no publicity," he needs to send note of encouragements to Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan.



R.J. Schwieger indeed named four Hurtsboro businessmen -- but I'm not going to do it here. The reason: one of them threatened to "come after" me if his/her name appeared here. Yes sir, those little towns can be very friendly places....



Because R.J. Schweiger named four names in Hurtsboro, I made several phone calls Friday afternoon which I absolutely did NOT want to make. I tried to call the people to get their side of the story -- realizing some of them might hear the name "Schweiger," and start calling me names other than Richard.



But before I picked up the phone, R.J. Schweiger's "snail mail" reached my box. It had seven photocopied documents, listing ten specific complaints against Hurtsboro's government and other accusations against several residents. If everything he wrote is true, the Alabama state grant money for park improvements might wind up putting rusty basketball goals in the middle of an open dump.



I was unable to reach one of the four people R.J. Schweiger listed. Another politely declined to comment. A third made the threat to "come after" me, saying: "I'm fed up with that man." This is where a caller to "Rise N' Shine" awhile back had a good idea - put all these people in a professional wrestling ring.



The wife of one Hurtsboro business owner was willing to talk with me - and she had plenty to say. Renee Williams says her husband hired R.J. Schweiger's wife to work at a convenience store. Then the Schweigers' marriage fell apart - and the Constable reportedly tried to have his wife fired for stealing store money. But the only thing reportedly missing was the Constable's love life....



Store owner Gary Williams was named in R.J. Schweiger's documents - because of a polygraph report. The Constable came to Columbus in 2004 and passed a test, regarding whether Williams threatened him. But Schweiger ought to know those exams are NOT allowed in most courts - and they certainly didn't help Anita Hill years ago.



Renee Williams confirmed something R.J. Schweiger wrote longhand on his polygraph document - that her husband served a five-year prison term for drug running. But she says Gary Williams has kept himself out of trouble since 1999. Well, except when the Constable tries to stir up some FOR him....



Gary Williams and R.J. Schweiger wound up in court over a dispute - and Williams' wife says Judge Michael Bellamy found nothing worthy of a conviction. But he reportedly told the men to stay as far from each other as possible. In a town of about 700 people like Hurtsboro, this might require careful scheduling of gas tank fill-ups.



Hurtsboro has three police officers, and the documents indicate Constable Schweiger doesn't like at least one of them. A letter from an Alabama state commission notes an officer was terminated in October 2004, because the police chief didn't require him to take a recertification course. But after the course was taken, the officer came back -- when he could have moved to Columbus for a big raise.



I could go much farther with this, but let's sum things up to this point. Several people in Hurtsboro made it clear to me that their Constable is nothing to be proud about - and is angry to the point of being a local embarrassment. "Grumpy Old Men" tend to be funny only in the movies, you know....



And you know what? Based on the Constable's second e-mail to me in recent days, he might just agree with all his critics:



In review of the occurances in "Hurt"sboro over the past three years - I've come to wonder - who is the brilliant strategist at City Hall? Or are the maneuvers therin just the knee-jerk reactions of the shamed!



Either way; they have avoided facing up to the issues by simply not responding or diverting public attention to the shortcomings of any accuser!



I plead guilty to being their principal challenger! And, although I have been demeaned in almost every possible way - I intend to continue questioning the actions of the Mayor and Council, until there's some straight answers!



Perhaps it's presumptious for me as an individual to challenge city leaders - but it is my right as a taxpayer.and believe me, I intend to exercise that privelege!



A recent headline [8 Jan] informed of the troubles of one "Hurt"sboro councilior, and if the authorities continue to dig for facts (I've many in hand) there will be more names added to the list. It's time to face the music in this old town!



My quest for justice has been labled a "Witch Hunt" by the folks at City Hall. But now, their false lables and thinning smoke screens have begun to fail! It will be interesting to see what transpires; when the truth finally comes out!



Constable R.J. Schweiger



There was something familiar to me in this second message -- and Sunday night it finally occurred to me. This is the sort of speech Venezuela's President could give at the United Nations.



Some people in Hurtsboro suspect R.J. Schweiger wants the town dissolved by Russell County because he hates many local leaders. Others think he's simply losing his wits with age -- as if when his wife left him, she took the rocker he was on.



If Hurtsboro is as troubled as R.J. Schweiger claims, I wonder why he doesn't run for Mayor as the man to "clean up the town." That way we'll know if the people are on his side. But then again, maybe he hasn't run because he already knows the answer....



Whether the Constable is a crusader, a clown or a little bit of both, one thing has become clear in the last three weeks: Hurtsboro is too well-named. A number of people are hurting psychologically and emotionally, and some may actually be threatening to hurt each other. I'm not sure all the issues in this town could be solved by a giant meeting with Dr. Phil McGraw.



If anyone wants to continue this, uh, discussion, I'm willing to keep it up. But from now until further notice (unless there's big breaking news), we're going to limit the Hurtsboro updates to Mondays. This little town will have its own day of the week - and for a town with 0.4 percent of the population of Columbus, that's pretty big of me.



Now let's all go back to our corners, and consider some weekend news from outside Hurtsboro. In places such as -- hey, maybe Columbus:


+ The Wal-Mart store on Airport Thruway closed, in preparation for today's grand opening of a SuperCenter on Whittlesey Boulevard. One woman complained to WRBL the final day didn't have many good sales. I have two words for this woman - try Parisian.



+ An online check confirmed Bear O'Brien has left WSTH-FM "Rooster 106," to become a morning radio host in Montgomery. O'Brien also was the "in-store radio" voice of Piggly Wiggly supermarkets. This move makes sense to me - since Bears, Roosters and Pigs only seem to mix in Chinese calendars.



+ The Montgomery Advertiser web site showed pictures of a Saturday parade, marking the 200th birthday of Robert E. Lee. About 150 people marched in the parade - and apparently none of them were from the Ku Klux Klan.



+ The "New Hope Revival Center" broadcast on WSHE-AM featured a pastor sharing his recent "vision" of tanks rolling in dusty hills. A voice from the tanks told the pastor, "We're going to secure the border." Then the phone line to the church service was disconnected TWICE for several minutes - so why is Mexico's government so concerned about this man?



(The Smiths Station pastor went on to say the protesters of President Bush's recent trip to Fort Benning were "stupid," because the President probably never knew they were on Victory Drive. He added he prays for soldiers overseas every day - but if they don't know he's doing it, where does that put him?)



+ ESPN reported the bottle seized from Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick at the Miami airport did NOT have traces of marijuana after all. In fact, it had NO illegal substance at all - so Vick must have used one very old tea bag.



+ Instant Message to the National Football League: OK, I'll make an exception -- this time only. I won't make fun of the Super Bowl taking place in February this year. Considering the coaches who won Sunday, it's only fitting to have this year's game during Black History Month.



This blog had more than 28,000 visits in 2006, from people in Columbus and around the world. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 3460 (- 59, 1.7%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-07 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats