Sunday, April 25, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



25 APR 04: FIND YOUR PLACE



So, you may be wondering, can I hear the music and fun at Riverfest from where I live? No, I can't. My apartment complex neighbors with their loud radios are making sure of that.



I'm not sure what music the neighbors were playing Friday night, but Saturday morning the station of choice was WOKS. Admittedly, some of the Motown songs on the radio were so old that they belonged in the Historic District....



Every time I leave home this weekend, I take a bit of a chance. So many cars are in the Historic District that I might run into someone. And if I don't, I risk having those cars park in every spot of the complex -- forcing me to take a South Commons spot away from a needy Columbus Catfish fan.



Take Friday evening, for instance. I went out for pizza, and found First Avenue packed with parked cars from Fifth Street north. Thankfully, I've prepared for this - because worshipers at Fourth Street Baptist Church double-park for a couple of
blocks every Sunday morning.



If Columbus Police wanted to, they could have a field day ticketing cars in the Historic District this weekend for double-parking. In fact, that fully-funded retirement program might become a reality.



Since it appears many of you visiting Riverfest don't know what double-parking is - you don't park on the other side of a two-way street directly across from a parked car. For one thing, there are much better ways of persuading your neighbors to start riding bicycles....



Bad parking seems to be hip and trendy this weekend. At the famous-name "Hut" where I picked up Friday's pizza, someone decided to park their car right outside the door - despite markings in the driveway against it, and open spaces in
the parking lot nearby. Some people must have a drive-thru lane mentality.



Then at church Saturday afternoon, someone with a big SUV straddled two parking spaces - and I had to park my humble Honda off to a side. Well, humility IS supposed to be a virtue....



(I don't want to say the congregation I attend is unusual - but someone put a newsletter on the information table this weekend from the "Gun Owners of America." Really! If this happened at Pastor Wayne Baker's church, he'd be
complaining about the Sheriff's Department all over again.)



But anyway: at least I was able to see and hear the fireworks which ended Saturday night's fun at Riverfest. In fact, there were TWO fireworks shows - with an earlier display after the Catfish game. For a little while, I understood how residents of Baghdad felt last year.



By the way, did you Riverfest visitors notice the fresh layer of pavement on 8th Street this weekend? That was put down literally at the last minute - as city crews had the street carved out for work late Friday morning. If only they were this fast with the sewer line in MY block.... (ahem)



E-MAIL UPDATE: The death of football player-turned-Army Ranger Pat Tillman is stirring many emotions - and apparently our thoughts about him this weekend did as well:



Richard,



I started to think I was just weird. I broke down and sobbed when I saw the news on my computer screen. I'm still crying today. There are few stories that have affected me as much as Pat Tillman's story. The last time I cried like this it was September 11, 2001. I'm comforted reading your blog today Richard because I know there are other people in the community who feel the same way I do. I must say, I was extremely disappointed to see that neither local television station viewed the death of a Fort Benning Ranger worthy of their lead story Friday at 6. Your station led with rising gas prices. In a word, Stunning! One of the most revealing interviews I saw ran on CNBC. A former teammate described the ultra secretive Pat as very intellectual, interested in history. Andre Wadsworth recalled how Pat read the Bible THREE times during road trips. The WHOLE Bible. Pat Tillman is in God's army now.



Robbie



If it makes you feel better, Robbie, WRBL made Pat Tillman its "top story" at 5:30 p.m. Friday - and another station led off the 11:00 p.m. news Saturday night with an interview with Tillman's lead Rangers instructor. But what struck me was ABC News -- where apparently you have to die before Wednesday to be "Person of the Week."



If Pat Tillman read the Bible on football road trips, truly he was a different sort of man. It also tells me the movies on those N.F.L. charter flights must be really boring.



It only occurred to me Saturday that Pat Tillman's death was announced on the weekend of the "Best Ranger" competition at Fort Benning. It's been around for decades, while a Fox military reality show called "Boot Camp" lasted only one season. Of course, real Rangers realize they can't afford to vote each other off.



By the way, that "rising gas prices" top story Friday night actually was about a Columbus Chevron terminal running out of regular unleaded gas for several hours. I didn't notice anything different as I drove around town. If someone had marked down their price below $1.25, I would have noticed that....



Now some more uplifting thoughts on an active spring weekend:


+ "World Tai Chi Day" was marked by a group of people at Lakebottom Park. Drivers rolling by and seeing them in action probably thought the Columbus High School drama department was working on its next project.



+ The Atlanta Falcons made Virginia Tech cornerback DeAngelo Hall their top draft pick. If recent history repeats itself, Hall will break his ankle two seasons from now as Michael Vick did.



(Another top draft choice from Virginia Tech? If this keeps up, the Falcons' new mascot will be "Hokie Wolf" or something....)



+ Instant Message to Hae Won Foods on Fort Benning Road: After shopping at your "supermarket" Friday, with its total of SIX aisles and prices well above the competition - sorry. Too Hae. You Lost.



COMING MONDAY: The Southside loses another one....



To offer a story tip, make a donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.