Monday, July 02, 2007

2 JUL 07: WHO ARE YOU? WHO-WHO? WHO-WHO?



Some readers become annoyed when this blog gets personal. Others seem ready to know every little detail about me. Today is a day for the "know-it-alls" - but I'm drawing a line here, and refusing to post my Social Security number.



THE BIG BLOG QUESTION inspires this topic - and our week-long poll ended Sunday afternoon with good news for me. Two-thirds of the voters decided I am NOT an "immature b*****d," as someone involved with Pioneer Little League called me in a voice-mail message. Of course, that could mean many people think I'm a mature one.



The count was three votes in favor of the "I.B." title, eight against, and one voter who asked of being immature: "Aren't we all sometimes?" That's probably true - but if you ask me when I am, I'm not tell-iiiiiin'. Unh-unh!!



One voter referred back to our look inside Pioneer Little League, which led to the accusation: "Anyone who instigates stupid things doesn't make you a b*****d, but it tells the world that you have no life.... or a wife!" As if husbands never instigate stupid things?! Such as saying the wrong thing about their wives' dinner?



The question inspired an e-mailer, who seemingly wanted me to dig a little deeper:



R- instead of that funky question ---



Why not ask something - such as: Have you gotten to know me well enough to describe my personality, if so how would you describe me?



Blogger Personality Survey



Compared to a radio talk show host (or you could substitute one of the following- national politician, local politician, the DC Madam, or a local political appointee), am I more or less:



1. Accurate



2. Interesting



3. Acceptable



4. Dealing with Interesting Topics



5. In Keeping with Societal Values



6. Counter Culture



7. Extremist



8. Enraging



9. Funny



10. Drama Queen



11. Honest



12. Likeable



13. Compassionate



14. Religious



15. Angry



16. Kind



17. Informed on My Topics



18. Needlessly Inflammatory



19. Respectable



20. Trustworthy



21. Inspiring Change



22. Make You Comfortable



23. Make You Uncomfortable



24. Talented



25. Versatile



26. Showing Promise



27. Likely to Succeed



28. Helping Others



29. Inspiring Emulation



30. A Credit to My Community



Yeow - 30 Big Blog Questions?! If I did a separate weekly poll on each of these areas (and I'm not sure how else I would do it), we'd be focusing on me through the end of January. Not even pro football stars are that egotistical.



This is one of those 30-part surveys which I used to face on the telephone, before online "panels" came along offering points for prizes. But the survey-takers hardly ever asked these things about me. Usually they asked if those traits applied to my favorite pizza.



I'll go ahead and open the virtual floor. Feel free to write the blog if you'd like to offer an opinion on where I stand on these 30 points. Of course, about the only local radio talk show hosts you have left for a comparison are Mike Gaymon and Mike Vee.



But this reminds me of those "rate-yourself" surveys which are all over the Internet - the ones supposedly revealing everything from your lucky lottery numbers, to which Spice Girl you are. Yes, I hear you critics already. You say I'm Baby Spice....



A wise man once wrote you should let someone else praise you, and not yourself. But I'll dare to examine myself, on several items in this 30-point survey:


+ #4: We try - but what I find interesting and what you find interesting may be two different things. For instance, I've lost all track of the going prices for Beanie Babies.



+ #7: I don't think I am. But these days, simply knowing conversational Spanish could get you labeled an extremist liberal.



+ #8: Drive behind my car up a hill, when I have the air conditioner going. You'll answer yes.



+ #9: That's actually our main goal here. Some people don't seem to grasp that at first. Maybe if I added an embedded laugh track....



+ #10: I used to eat ice cream treats there all the time, but not anymore. They're simply.... no wait....



+ #14: Well, our hit counter DOES seem to take a dip on Saturdays.



+ #18: Go to the Little League All-Star tournament and ask around. You'll get that answer in a hurry.



+ #30: After four-and-a-half years of blogging, the count still stands at one speech to a civic club.



BLOG CORRECTION: So much for survey item #1 -- as one person left a comment in our question area noting Guy Hunt never went to prison, for his conviction as Alabama Governor. He only served probation, the writer says. OK, I'll accept that - although all the years Hunt spent seeking a pardon might lead you to think otherwise.



E-MAIL UPDATE: Speaking of Alabama Governors, this message is about a declaration by the current one:



I am all for prayer any time and any place...but please refresh my memory.....The Alabama Gov. is involved with the 8 days of prayer so my question is this....did they remove or keep the ten commandments in the Montgomery Capitol building?



Assuming you really mean the Judicial Building where the controversy developed, the answer to that question is "yes and no." The big monument installed by Roy Moore was hauled away four years ago [28 Aug 03]. It then went on a national tour - and now waits for some Republican Presidential candidate to hug it, and win the conservative vote.



But a smaller version of the Ten Commandments actually was posted inside the Alabama Judicial Building a short time later. It was part of a series of historic documents, including the Magna Carta. Former Chief Justice Roy Moore opposed that, saying the commandments should stand by themselves -- but somehow forgetting God gave Moses a lot of other instructions, too.



By the way, the prayers across Alabama for rain may be doing some good. A strong storm Sunday evening toppled a tree onto a house in Opelika. An atheist's house, we have to assume....



Now let's check what else happened Sunday:


+ A nice thunderstorm dumped rain on downtown Columbus for several hours around dinnertime. Now the landlord finally may see a need to bring someone out to cut the grass - even though a few weeds were approaching waist-high, anyway.



+ A bus marked "Iraq Veterans Against the War" was driven to the main gate at Fort Benning. Two men were arrested when they walked onto post wearing allegedly anti-government T-shirts. If this bus had shown up on Saturday, the veterans might have persuaded Bo Bice to join them.



+ On the other hand, Evangel Temple welcomed Fort Benning soldiers on "Military Appreciation Day." So when does the local Unitarian church plan to invite retired General Paul Eaton to give a lecture?



+ The first Atlantic Southeast jets landed and took off from Columbus Airport. But the event was a bit disappointing for me - because I hoped some Miss Georgia contestants might hang around one more day to sing, "Leaving on a Jet Plane."






This blog has thousands of visitors each month, from people in Columbus and around the world. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 1785 (- 145, 7.5%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-07 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats