Monday, December 25, 2006

25 DEC 06: FROM EXTINCTION TO EXTRACTION



The last few days have been wonderful for me, as I've witnessed a miraculous recovery. I suppose some sappy Hollywood screenwriter would call it a "Christmas miracle" - except I don't keep Christmas, and I could have done it two weeks ago to mark Pearl Harbor Day.



Longtime readers will recall 2006 was the year my seven-year-old computer officially was declared dead [23 Jun]. After I bought a new computer, the old one was placed on the floor near my kitchen table - but far enough away that I didn't leave any spaghetti sauce stains on it.



The computer shop on Hamilton Road told me my hard drive data could not be recovered. But something inside me recalled hearing stories about how data still could be recovered in some way. And something else inside me said it probably would cost half the price of a laptop -- or even approach the price of a new car.



But then the American Town Marketing coupon envelope came in the mail few weeks ago, to renew my hopes. It had three coupons for a different computer repair shop - including an outlandish offer of a free checkup. This was a dream come true. And if only the chiropractors' coupons offered something like that....



So this past week, I loaded my old computer in the car with my coupon and drove to Shane's PC Paramedics on Warm Springs Road. At the very worst, they might be able to tell me where I could take the machine for safe recycling - without paying those tipping fees at the landfill, of course.



Shane's PC Paramedics reminds you less of a fix-it shop, and more of Google's headquarters. There's a large lounge area next to the counter, where it appeared you could play video games on a big TV -- but it wasn't on, so I didn't dare touch it. Besides, the little dog at the feet of an employee in that room might have tried to stop me.



A dead hard drive meant my old computer wouldn't turn on at all in June - and that had not changed in December. Computers never will be confused with wine, and get better with age....



But the expert at Shane's PC Paramedics (no, it was NOT Shane) did not give up. He unscrewed the hard drive from my computer, and took it to some device in a back room. I couldn't see exactly what it was, but thankfully it was NOT one of those "healing magnet" devices - which would have erased everything.



As I stood and waited for a couple of minutes, I checked the price board on the wall at Shane's PC Paramedics. This was unusual in itself - as most other computer shops I've visited make you wonder about their charges. I've found one business seems to help you for a discount, if you make a sad enough face.



Shane's PC Paramedics will repair computers at their shop, or come to your home or business for a higher price. And there's even a "trauma service" by the paramedics, where they'll stop everything else and serve you. Don't you wish Wal-Mart did that, in the days before a major holiday?



The man in the back room seemed to be making some progress as I watched, but I knew that could be misleading. At last he came out and said, "I have some good news." At a place named "PC Paramedics," I almost expected his next words to be something about a baby boy.



But no, this was the good news I really wanted to hear. He was able to extract the data from my old hard drive, and could save it all for me on a DVD. My hard drive wasn't dead, it was comatose - and this shop had the HD-fibrillator.



The coupon sheet from Shane's PC Paramedics had not only the free checkup, but a second one for 30 dollars off any service. With that figured in, the saving of my old hard drive's data cost me less than 100 dollars. No, I did NOT ask for trauma service. After six months of waiting, one more day to prepare a DVD would be OK.



I was absolutely thrilled with what this computer shop did. The repair man asked me to take a business card, in case I needed them again. But I had to be honest, and told him I hoped I wouldn't see them for a long time.



"You can stop by to visit," the repair man suggested. We'll see about that - but if they're really going to be that friendly, their lounge needs at least one vending machine.



E-MAIL UPDATE: This message reached us about Friday's focus on plans to tear down The Estate on Macon Road:



The Harmony Club was originally located where IHOP and StevieB's is...At Warm Springs and Woodruff Rd where CVS is was woods where the Chicksaw Club was..



I'll take your word for it, about that location on Whitesville Road - in the interests of harmony, of course.



I remember a "legendary Chickasaw," but not where this writer puts it. It was on Macon Road with the Choctaw Grill sports bar -- but they went out of business several years ago, and were replaced by an Eckerd store and a Burger King. I don't miss them much, except the newer sports bars seem so thrilled with karaoke nights....



We'll have more memories to offer later this week - but now let's check weekend news you may have missed in the rush of things:


+ Columbus Police reported a man on Fifth Street was shot in the (ahem) derriere. My Dad used to tell my brother and me to "get the lead out," but times apparently have changed.



+ The Ledger-Enquirer reported the Alabama Supreme Court has rejected Russell County Commissioner Ronnie Reed's appeal. That means he must give up his seat -- unless he follows a supporter's old example, and takes sanctuary in Judge Al Howard's office.



+ Outgoing Mayor Bob Poydasheff told WRCG's "TalkLine" the reports of gang activity and unrest at the Columbus Public Library are "utter rubbish." He said his wife serves as a library volunteer on Saturdays - but of course, that's when most gang members probably are gaining turf on basketball playgrounds.



+ A Georgia state advisory commission on Bible classes issued its recommendations. GPB Radio reported a lot of leeway was left to local districts. That probably includes the most difficult issue of all -- King James Version or New International?



+ The St. Luke United Methodist Church late-night service moved to NBC-38, as First Baptist Church began showing a Christmas special on its usual TV station. Wasn't it considerate of WLGA TV-66 to offer an alternative -- showing "Sex and the City" and "Cheaters" as usual?



+ The Atlanta Falcons fell to Carolina 10-3, and were practically eliminated from the N.F.L. playoffs. Michael Vick became the first quarterback in league history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. And Jim Mora may have to move 1,000 miles to find a coaching job next season.



(Did you hear how the Fox Sports announcers picked on Carolina's quarterback, and how weak he was with a 4-for-7 passing line? They sounded ready to throw Chris Weinke off the Georgia Dome roof -- yet he wound up with one more touchdown pass than Michael Vick did.)



+ Eufaula High School quarterback Jerrel Jernigan was named to the Alabama 5-A All-State football team. I'm reminded of a prediction Fox's Darrel Waltrip made during an early-season NASCAR race that it felt like "the year of the J.J.'s." Jernigan certainly turned out better than J.J. Yeley or J.J. Reddick.



+ Instant Message to WEAM-AM: Thanks for providing an alternative to the schmaltzy music Sunday night, by broadcasting the Hawaii Bowl. I forgot Jerry Glanville was an assistant coach in Hawaii now - and I wonder if he still wears that black overcoat along the sidelines.



2006 IN REVIEW CONTINUED: July was a decisive month in Georgia politics. Mark Taylor defeated Cathy Cox in a nasty primary for Governor -- and I'm still waiting for former President Carter to mediate a settlement between them.



(Jimmy Carter marked a milestone in July, by celebrating his 60th wedding anniversary. Here's hoping the years have been filled with peace, and not apartheid....)



Back in politics, Ed Harbison defeated Reginald Pugh to remain a Georgia State Senator. Pugh begrudgingly accepted defeat - but still hasn't shown us the deed to Harbison's Atlanta house.



July marked the start of a showdown in Chattahoochee County. The sheriff went to court, to protest a big cut in funding. It looks like come January, the new county commission will give him as much as he wants - even part of the county manager's salary.



The mess in Russell County schools kept building in July, with the resignation of Superintendent Rebecca Lee. Some parents were surprised that she went to Troy University - as opposed to the county jail.



"Dateline NBC" came to Harris County in July, as a sting operation led to the arrest of several suspected predators. Does anyone know if that vacant house has been sold in the last six months - and whether the new owners were allowed to keep the "Perverted Justice" security system?



Fort Benning took a safety step in July, by banning all hand-held cell phones while driving. Columbus still has not gone this far. Maybe the city is waiting for Mayor-Elect Jim Wetherington's budget, with money to put built-in cell phones in all police cars.



The Chattahoochee River Keeper issued a warning in July, against swimming in the river. How times have changed since that was issued! Now influential people in Columbus are issuing warnings against dealing with the River Keepers.



Columbus Technical College announced plans in July for a culinary arts program -- then announced the start of a major capital fund-raising campaign. Put those two together, and maybe the prices down the street at Golden Donuts will stay low.



July brought the first news that Auburn University football players took easy Directed Studies courses. A sociology professor in the middle of the controversy was suspended last week - but if becomes a paid informant for the "New York Times," he might not lose any money from the deal.



The Columbus Catfish tried all sorts of things to gain customers in July - such as staging a Halloween Night. I think other businesses have been following this example lately. Have you noticed how some tax offices are already open - a month before most of us get our W-2 forms?



July was also the month when the Lucky 7 Lounge on Victory Drive caught fire. That building remained boarded up this weekend - and maybe the dancers decided to take their money, and enroll in college.



Thousands of visitors read this blog every month, in Columbus and around the world. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 3312 (- 124, 3.6%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats