Thursday, April 06, 2006

6 APR 06: FLOWER POWER



You certainly could tell it was spring Wednesday on the Phenix City Riverwalk. One group of people planted flowers. Another group tossed flowers in the Chattahoochee River. It's that sort of recycling which reminds me - Earth Day is only 16 days away.



Two different organizations had a similar theme on the Phenix City Riverwalk. Flowers were planted to remember everyone who is a victim of rape. Perhaps a security camera should be installed there, to see if Dr. Eric Buffong stops by....



The people tossing flowers were marking a "Day of Hope." Children who have died from sexual abuse were remembered with carnations thrown into the Chattahoochee River. Some of those who participated may want guilty parents executed -- so the phrase, "this will hurt me more than it hurts you" actually happens.



While some flowers can be sober and symbolic, others can be joyous. The people at Callaway Gardens say this is the peak time to come out and admire their azaleas. This proves it pays to finish your tax return before mid-March.



The trouble with azaleas around here is that they seem to lose their blooms too soon. One building on Wynnton Road had colorful flowers less than two weeks ago - but now the pink and purple are practically gone. If only some businesses would see that movie "The Constant Gardener...."



A couple of people in the complex where I live seem to have vegetable gardens going this spring. I'm not an expert when it comes to knowing what they're growing. But if those residents start sniffing the plants on their knees, I'm calling police.



My only contribution to the spring greenery is a potted plant which has sat all winter on my kitchen table. It was given to the family after my Dad died five years ago, and it's still in fairly good shape thanks to a little cup of water every day. Do you think it's the added fluoride?



I have a little garden shovel, but I've never used it. It's all because I attended a weekend church seminar on gardening in Jefferson, Georgia about 17 years ago. I still have a notebook and a big instruction book - but I'm a renter, and the landlord's lawnmowing man could ruin my plans at any time.



I even have a seed packet, ready for planting one of these days. My old alma mater sent me a pack of daisies years ago, since the west part of campus is known as "Daisy Hill." No, you cartoon-loving scoffers - there's NO puppy farm on Daisy Hill....



But anyway: perhaps someday I'll actually own a home -- and then I'll pull out the garden shovel, plant the daisies and watch them grow. Of course, there's another alternate use for all those items. I'll have to add that stipulation to my will.



Now that we've spent time in the gardens, let's check some other news from an admittedly slow Wednesday:


+ The late-night news reported Smiths Station Animal Hospital is clearing room for a new larger clinic. This should settle it once and for all - Smiths Station is no longer a one-horse town.



+ Alabama's Governor signed a bill toughening the penalties for passing stopped school buses. This shows how times have changed in Alabama - because the state isn't encouraging fancy moves by potential NASCAR drivers anymore.



(Under this new law, serial school bus passers could be fined $3,000 and have a felony put on their records. Or as some rap stars might call it -- Step One.)



+ The Columbus State University softball team jumped to eighth in the national rankings, after not even appearing in the poll the week before. It's awfully tempting to say these women are going through a hot flash....



+ Instant Message to Mark Taylor of T&T Tires on Veterans Parkway: Aren't you going to have to adjust that TV commercial in a few weeks - to explain you're NOT the one who's running for governor?



Your PayPal donations can build a better blog, and keep it independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 7091 (+ 206, 3.0%)



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.




site stats