Sunday, April 16, 2006

16 APR 06: HERE, HAVE SOME MORE



If you're reading this blog today, I'll assume you've finished working on your taxes. If my blog counter shows a big rush of readers on Tuesday, I'll know what you've been busy doing....



I mailed my tax forms away in early March, and received a refund check from the federal government this past week. At times like that, I recall my mother's last job was with the Internal Revenue Service - and she talked about people writing checks to the "INFERNAL Revenue."



But a couple of days before the check came, a large white envelope from the I.R.S. reached my mailbox. I knew from the size it wasn't my refund -- so what could it be? Was I being audited, because a staff member read this blog and wondered why all the PayPal donations weren't listed?



After opening the envelope, I was both relieved and puzzled. No, I was NOT being audited by the I.R.S. Instead, the government claimed I actually could have extra money coming! I had to double-check this letter, to make sure it wasn't from that suspicious tax office on Second Avenue....



The person who reviewed my Form 1040 noted I did NOT take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit, even though I seemed to be eligible. Yes, the I.R.S. actually noticed something like this in my favor - leading me to think this department is filled with Republicans from top to bottom.



To be honest, I didn't think I qualified for the Earned Income Tax Credit. The reason: I don't have any children. Go ahead, you gold-digging women - drag me on "The Maury Povich Show" if you dare....



I thought the Earned Income Credit only applied to people with children. But this letter from the I.R.S. pointed out that's NOT true. Even SINKs could take advantage of it -- you know, Single Income No Kids.



The letter included a four-question checklist, to see if I qualified for the Earned Income Credit. Sure enough, I did. Once again, I'd made a mistake preparing my own tax return -- although I remained smart enough to save money, by paying someone to do the work for me.



All I had to do was sign the letter and mail it back to the Memphis I.R.S. office to receive an extra 17 dollars. But here I recalled another reason why I overlooked the Earned Income Credit. I was already getting ALL my withheld tax money back, as a refund. Now you see why I didn't mention taxes, until the check reached my mailbox.



A modest income combined with contributions to my Individual Retirement Account allowed me to reclaim every penny of my federal withholding tax. To borrow what a billboard years ago in Atlanta said - I.R.A. sure beats I.R.S.



But since I was getting all the withheld tax money back, why should I get 17 extra dollars with the Earned Income Tax Credit? If anything, this seemed like an UN-earned credit - like getting a refund plus interest. Unearned runs are OK in baseball, but this seemed very different.



On top of that, national newscasts had noted in recent days how some tax preparation offices are turning the Earned Income Credit into an illegal loophole. Customers are getting refunds when they really should not - and the federal grant money to improve the Columbus Chamber of Commerce office has to come from somewhere.



I could have thrown away the I.R.S. letter had I been disqualified from the Earned Income Credit. But since I qualified, I squeezed in a two-line note on the signature line saying I "decline to take the credit." It felt to me like stealing - and I pay for my mistakes at other times. Take missing a turn, with gas at $2.69 a gallon....



The I.R.S. office in Memphis may overlook my two-line note, and send me a check for 17 extra dollars anyway. If it does, I'll probably bank it - but if any members of my church congregation are reading this, I WOULD tithe on it. I trust gifts from friends much more than one from the government.



BLOG UPDATE: The neighborhood around 35th Street and Sixth Avenue received a visit Saturday from the "Columbus Dream Center." I saw the initials CDC and feared for a minute the area now had a deadly disease problem....



Members of the Dream Center picked up trash in the neighborhood, while offering low-income residents free food and haircuts. But it apparently lacks the money to provide the dream many residents probably long to receive - affordable housing in nicer parts of Columbus.



Now a quick Sunday spin around other things we've noticed this weekend:


+ Which Columbus police officer was spotted checking e-mail in a local library -- in uniform, with a police scanner, and driving squad car #542? I suppose this officer could have been on break. And I should note this was in a part of town not known for doughnut shops.



+ The Dolly Madison bread store on Victory Drive which is famous for low gas prices announced it now accepts major credit cards. So now the only things there which still date from the 1980's are the gas pumps.



+ Clason Kyle autographed copies of a new book he's written, about the history of the Springer Opera House. If he didn't get any interviews with those presumed Springer ghosts, forget it....



+ Young people who attend Evangel Temple carried a giant cross down the Riverwalk as a fund-raising project. Imagine if Jesus had thought of this 2,000 years ago. He could have escaped the death sentence, by hiring a good attorney.



(Which reminds me - have you noticed no Columbus megachurches have called off Easter services today, the way some did for Christmas? Do you think it's because people have more money to put in the offering plates?)



+ Ground was broken for the first Habitat for Humanity home in Marion County. I never realized this county was so filled with wealthy people....



(Habitat founder Millard Fuller attended the groundbreaking. Perhaps he's made peace with the organization which fired him last year. Or perhaps he's on a grassroots campaign to head for Americus and stage a coup.)



+ The White House announced President Bush will visit Tuskegee University Wednesday. Hopefully the President's aides will brief him before the trip - and point out at Tuskegee, "old school" means a song from the 1970's.



+ Instant Message to McDonald's: About your billboard on the Oglethorpe Bridge - not even Governor Riley put a "Welcome to Alabama" sign that close to the Chattahoochee River. Is that Ronald McDonald's home state or something?



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: A Monday blog entry is NOT guaranteed, because of a tight schedule. We'll see....)



Your PayPal donations can build a better blog, and keep it independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 7848 (+ 405, 5.4%)



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.




site stats