Wednesday, May 12, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



12 MAY 04: YA-HU!



The Columbus Catfish had a scary moment Tuesday night in Ohio, playing the former RedStixx. Shortstop Chin-Lung Hu slipped on wet grounds in the eighth inning, attempting to throw out a Lake County batter. For a moment it appeared he was hurt - and I was ready to cry "boo-Hu."



Thankfully, the Catfish shortstop was NOT injured. The Columbus radio announcer noted Chin-Lung Hu merely lost one of his shoes, trying to make the play. "He's not Shoeless Joe," the broadcaster declared - perhaps not realizing he was looking at One-Shoe Hu.



The shortstop is from Taiwan, and has been my favorite 'Fish since the season started - not because he can hit and field well, but because of his name. Chin-Lung Hu simply sets my mind to thinking:


+ When he comes to bat at Golden Park, shouldn't they play the theme from CSI? "Hu are you - Hu Hu! Hu Hu!"



+ If he ever really does get hurt, will the team trainer get the nickname "Doctor Hu?"



(Or do the Catfish recommend he visit a doctor at Fort Benning? That way a military doctor can say, "Hu, ahhhhh.")



+ Shouldn't manager Dan Bilardello try him at other positions - so at least once we can say, "Hu's on first?"



+ You put your Chin-Lung in, You put your Chin-Lung out - you put your Chin-Lung in, and you shake him all about....



And while we're at it, why doesn't someone sign our shortstop to a contract to sell Yoo-Hoo soft drinks? I can write the commercial now....


"Yoo Hoo!"



"Yes, I am."



"No, not you, Hu. Yoo-Hoo."



"That's what I said. That's me."



"No, I mean what you're drinking...."



"Oh. You mean....?"



"No, I'm not mean. But Yoo-Hoo...."



"Of course I am."



"You are?"



"Of course I am."



"You're what?"



"No, Hu."



"What?"



"Hu!"



"Oh please! Look, do you have a younger brother?"



"Yes."



"What's his name?"



"Ray."



"So when your mother gave birth, she said...."



"Hu, Ray."



"Hooray?"



"Hu, Ray."



"Hooray!"



"Of course!"



"Hip hip hooray!"



"No, I only have one brother."



"No, wait...."



"But my mother does have two hips."



"Well, good! And does your mother like Yoo-Hoo?"



"Of course she does!"



"Why does your mother like Yoo-Hoo?"



"Because I'm her son, I guess."



To offer a story tip, make a donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.