Monday, May 26, 2003







Burkard's Blog of Columbus, Georgia



BURKARD'S BLOG






I searched on the Internet, and found no one keeping a blog about events in Columbus, Georgia. (Well, other than a 15-year-old high school student, and who knows how much he pays attention to the news?) So being the hip web-savvy guy that I am, I decided to start a blog of my own - chronicling happenings in the town I've called home for almost six years, as well as my experiences in it.



But be warned.... I used to have a humor service called LaughLine.com, so my views may be a bit amusing. And the views are my own -- no one has paid me to present theirs. Not yet.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



26 MAY 03: A MATTER OF TIMING



Here's hoping you've had a nice Memorial Day. I can't tell you how many times I've heard it called "the unofficial start of summer." Some of us thought that had moved up to early May, when the first big blockbuster movie comes out.



To dial around Columbus radio, you might be confused about what season we're in. WDAK ran ads declaring "summer's here" a couple of weeks ago. Yet when NASCAR races are on, WMLF runs ads telling me to "get the jump on the cold weather" with my car.



My TV station isn't helping things much right now. It's running announcements telling how "amazing things happened in May." The list of events starts with the Tour de Georgia - which as I recall came through Columbus on APRIL 24th. [24 Apr]



For years, it was easy for me to figure out the start of summer. It was when the National Hockey League Stanley Cup Finals ended. The amazing thing is, this year that benchmark might be accurate for a change - the first week of June.



Some school districts in our area let students out for summer vacation in the middle of last week. Muscogee County's year ends this Friday. So plan your trips to the mall appropriately, to dodge the crowds.



I'm pleased to report I made it to Memorial Day without turning on my window air conditioner, in the kitchen. [11 May] That's an unofficial family tradition - but of course, my family was and is in Kansas City. If they had lived in Columbus, we might have had air conditioning on the first time the temperature hit 85.



BLOG UPDATE - I'm down to two bowling coupons left, after a Sunday doubleheader in which I visited both Peach Bowl and Bama Lanes. I scored a mere 62 at each of them! With scores that low, maybe I should take up golf and head for Green Island next May.