Tuesday, May 13, 2003

BURKARD'S BLOG



13 MAY 03: RUN, DON'T WALK



The Chattahoochee River was back to normal levels, so I went running on the Riverwalk yesterday afternoon - only a few minutes after WTVM's Jo Giles announced the walk was closed for at least two weeks. I guess that makes me a rebellious journalist. And these days, it probably disqualifies me from working at The New York Times.



(I've lived in Georgia more than 18 years now - so I confess, the "Southern rebel" nature is starting to overtake me. I actually paid a little attention yesterday to a radio ad for pickup trucks.)



Barricades may be up above the Riverwalk at 10th Street, but nothing was set up to stop pedestrians from entering at Golden Park. A red ribbon across the top flight of stairs was gone -- perhaps removed by the South Georgia Waves, because the old
RedStixx are coming back to town.



The only thing stopping me at the bottom of the Golden Park stairs was a long two-by-four, propped up on one side. I found several of these on my short jog - so if you want to avoid the lines at Home Depot, hurry.



Once you're ON the Riverwalk, the first thing you notice is the smell. The Chattahoochee has a natural stench to it, only it was turned up about threefold in spots. If it wasn't for a nice north wind, the wave of people wearing breathing masks could be expanding here.



My short jog from Golden Park to the Trade Center construction site showed me all kinds of unusual sights:



+ A flipped-over tree, with standing water in the hole. So THAT'S why we're supposed to stay away - the risk of West Nile Virus.


+ Dirt and mud covering the walkway in sections -- reminding me of some rural roads in Russell County.


+ A little sealed bag of "Wholesome Bear" graham crackers. Did the Red Cross drop something, helping people along the river in West Point?


+ Large white rocks along the embankment from Golden Park to the Riverwalk. People picking up stones from the railroad tracks didn't throw them as far as they thought.



Meanwhile, today I listened to WTVM's 5:00 p.m. news on the radio - and heard Wayne Bennett say he MIGHT sue Dee Armstrong! Was he joking when he said this? Shouldn't Cheryl Morgan be the one suing, to get equal time in her chair?