Sunday, May 18, 2003







Burkard's Blog of Columbus, Georgia



BURKARD'S BLOG



18 MAY 03: ....BUT THERE'S A TWIST



I got mentioned during a church service this weekend, without my even trying. It was all because of one line in last Monday's
6:00 a.m. newscast which I produced. No, I did NOT mention that woman who turned my good deed into a speed-date.... (12 May)



Last Monday's morning news included an ABC report on a tornado-damaged church in Jackson, Tennessee. In the "tag" after the report, I wrote: "We heard one local pastor say over the weekend the tornadoes were a Satanic response to a big conference of elders in Cincinnati." Which local pastor said it? MINE. You never knew all the weather of North America revolved around a denomination of about 10,000 people, did you?



Someone in the congregation heard that tag-line, told the Pastor about it - so the Pastor came to me just before the service to
ask about it. Yes, I admitted, I included that line. "You're preaching the gospel!" he said encouragingly with a smile. Oh really?!?! I'm still trying to find the word "tornado" in the New Testament.



What my Pastor and that woman in the congregation apparently do NOT know is that I submitted that comment about the
tornadoes and Cincinnati to a religion web site - one that's openly skeptical of such hype from ministers. After all, what caused this weekend's new storm damage in Alabama? That conference of elders ended more than a week ago.



The Pastor concluded I wrote that tag-line to promote the denomination - when I really added it to contrast two churches. The tornado-damaged group in Tennessee used a disaster to pitch in and come together. My Pastor uses a disaster to suggest our group indirectly is to blame for it.



It's interesting to note the denomination I attend has been emphasizing modesty the last few weeks. The leaders mean dress for church services. Maybe they should apply it to their words as well?!



I've been doing my part to promote modesty, by intentionally saying little at the church service. A few people have sought me out at the audio table to say hello, but not many. Two men who came by this weekend got into a discussion opposing interracial marriage, supporting racial separation, and - no, only ONE of the men was from Taylor County. [True!]



But I digress. This whole incident about the twisters proves several things. For one, people in my congregation aren't very
web-savvy. If they did a Google hunt for my name, they might be surprised by what else I've posted challenging what the Pastor says -- and may might start a move to kick me out.



For another thing, the Pastor who thought I was "preaching the gospel" and misunderstood my intent isn't a very good mind-reader. But then again, he preaches against psychics....



BLOG UPDATES - on this and that:



+ I posted a link to this blog at a few message boards, to share the story of the speed-date. To those who followed the link and came here, welcome. So far one man's posted this interesting response: "All I can say to you, Richard, is HO HO HO!"


(Hey, wait a minute - this happened on Mother's Day, not Christmas.)



+ The Columbus Wardogs were so motivated by the death of former broadcaster Jim Fyffe (15 May) that not only did they LOSE to Florida, they didn't score a point for the first 59 minutes of the game. Maybe they were trying to prove his 2001 comment was true?!?!



+ Our Blog has learned there's ANOTHER broadcaster in the Auburn region interested in Jim Fyffe's job - someone who's doing NEWS these days, not sports. I'd drop this person's name, but I fear he might get dropped from his current job.