Saturday, November 08, 2008

8 NOV 08: THE EXTRA 100 YARDS



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find the following item humorous, serious, or a little of both - but we offer these thoughts from time to time, as we keep a seventh-day Sabbath.)



"Did your cashier greet you today?" A little computer pad asked me that question Friday afternoon, as I checked out of a Wal-Mart store. But I thought they already had greeters stationed at the entrance. Uh-oh - is there another layoff announcement coming?



I had to click on the NO button to that computerized question, which came up while my list of groceries was on the screen. The cashier directed me to her lane, but she didn't really say hello. That's partly my fault - as I wandered across several checkout lanes, trying to save five cents on 20-ounce soda bottles.



If you're not familiar with Wal-Mart checkout lanes, the plastic bags are arranged in a triangular set-up on a turntable. Cashiers can spin the turntable around, to fill three of them in a hurry -- as if they could double as DJ's at a nightclub on weekends.



Several bags of groceries quickly filled my shopping cart - but I took care to double-check the turntable one last time before I left. A bag might not have been turned in my direction. Yet the cashier moved on to the next customer, so I presumed all was well. Well, except that she didn't seem to greet THAT customer, either....



As I rolled my cart out the door and toward my car, I heard a voice say, "Sir! Excuse me!" For a moment, I chose to ignore it. Beggars standing outside Wal-Mart have a wide range of people to approach....



But then I turned around - and the cashier who had checked me out was walking quickly toward me in the parking lot. She had a bag of canned goods, which I had left behind. We had both missed it. Of course, I would have spotted the error once I returned home - and I might NOT have "greeted" the cashier, after making the long drive back.



Some grocery cashiers never would have done what that woman did. They would have stuffed the extra bag under their counter - and it's anyone's guess what could have happened from there. My can of cranberry sauce might not have even wound up at the House of Mercy.



My thanks to that woman for displaying good customer service. It's something we ALL really should do - and when we do, we follow another legendary example. Jesus said in Luke 22 He came "as one who serves." He served all the way to death - and believers have faith He's still serving today. If you start believing in Jesus through prayer, you may wind up with eternal life. And that's far better than a bag of groceries.



COMING SUNDAY: Leftover accusations about the local election, and an announcement about 2010.... all from the same person....






Our number of unique visitors is now up 31 percent from last year. To advertise to our readers, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 842 (- 103, 10.9%)



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author -- not necessarily those of anyone else in Columbus living or dead, and perhaps not even you.



© 2003-08 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats