Saturday, November 22, 2008

22 NOV 08: ONE FOR THE AGES



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find the following item humorous, serious, or a little of both - but we offer these thoughts from time to time, as we keep a seventh-day Sabbath.)



"Good morning, Mr. Nahley," I said to a man in a Columbus grocery store Friday. I won't say which store, because this former TV celebrity might not want the paparazzi tracking him down.



"How're you doing?" was the answer from Don Nahley, as he moved his shopping cart along. Yes, the 78-year-old former Rozell co-host was out buying groceries - even with the temperature at about 40 degrees F. Since he's a native of New England, he only needed a sweater. Some Columbus natives act like an Arctic parka is mandatory.



It's good to see someone 78 years old getting out and around on a chilly day - but I've found a man who beats even that. During a run the other afternoon on the Phenix City Riverwalk, I passed an older man walking the other way. "I used to do that, many moons ago," he told me. Older people measure time by moons. Younger ones tend to think waiting "forever" is five seconds at a traffic light.



After a turnaround several minutes later, I came upon the man again and wanted to hear more. He's an 88-year-old retired METRA driver, and used to walk "double-time" for exercise when he was between routes. I used to do the same thing in high school and college - not really for exercise, but to avoid being late for class.



"I've thought about trying to start doing that again," the man said - dreaming of running simply a couple of blocks at age 88. Any criminal who tried to mug him on the sidewalk probably would surrender at the sight of that, simply due to shock.



This 88-year-old man was walking well when I passed him, but I suggested he check with a doctor before trying any jogging. While I'm no expert, I know bones and joints can break easily when you're up in years. I'm surprised someone hasn't invented Select Comfort floor mats around the beds, in case an older person falls out of one.



My own exercise has been inspiring in recent weeks. Monday night I surprised myself, by running 4.7 miles non-stop - the longest such run I've had in more than two years. Now that I'm 50, I cherish runs like that more than ever. After all, I'm supposed to be "senior" in some things. The AARP keeps sending me mock membership cards to remind me.



Just because someone is 50-plus doesn't mean you have to become sedentary and stop exercising. The people I've described here are good examples of that -- and I know where my strength for the workout begins. Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Be thankful for His strength - and be willing to let Him push you forward when you're tired. "Second winds" can be first-rate.



BLOG UPDATE: We told you last fall about a massive yard sale in Troup County, to help a woman pay for a kidney transplant [22 Oct 07]. We're thrilled to report Shirley Smallwood finally had the transplant operation Thursday, and the first reports are positive. Don't you dare challenge that woman to a patience test - because she has years of experience at that.



E-MAIL UPDATE: If you're concerned about how to feed your family in a tight economy, a reader passes along this suggestion....



Following is a link to Angel Food Ministries where anyone can order groceries at a very reasonable rate. Looks like a blessing to me. I am gonna do it. I understand there are no requirements involved. There are quite a number of places in Columbus that participate in this program. No one has asked me to promote this, I just felt compelled to pass this on as I know many are struggling financially and don't qualify for any help. Groceries are a major expense and this appears to be a big blessing. Check it out and pass it on. I am sending this to everyone in my email because there are distribution sites all over the U.S.



Angel Food sounds good to me. I baked a chocolate cake for a church Thanksgiving dinner Friday -- but I made sure NOT to get a box that said "Devil's Food" on it. Don't want to offend, you know....



The number of unique visitors to our blog is up 32 percent from last year. To advertise to them, offer a story tip, make a PayPal donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 921 (- 21, 2.2%)



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author -- not necessarily those of anyone else in Columbus living or dead, and perhaps not even you.



© 2003-08 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats