Tuesday, September 05, 2006

for 6 SEP 06: LOV YA BLUES



As the summer sunshine slowly fades, the blues suddenly are settling upon the Columbus area. Before some of you get the wrong idea - this part of the blog is NOT focusing on political parties.



Not one, but two new blues clubs are developing near the Chattahoochee River. The first one I noticed is "Backyard Blues," which is being prepared inside an old laundromat at Sixth Street and First Avenue. Yes, the building DOES have a backyard - but I'd guess it'll need at least a fence for legal concerts.



I stopped by Backyard Blues Tuesday night, and it wasn't open yet. But a guitar was visible through a window, as was a large antique "floor model." It was so old that the radio bands were not AM-FM, but AM-Shortwave -- so it's perfect for playing WOKS between concerts.



The location of Backyard Blues is a bit unusual. It's in the middle of the historic district, a good five-block walk from the clubs on Broadway. Unless it's Riverfest Weekend, the only active nearby business after dark is Little Joe's package store - and I'd think they'd be somewhat in competition.



Yet Backyard Blues might find a loyal following on First Avenue. For one thing, I understand there/s at least halfway house down the street - so it'll be perfect for people having a relapse.



While Backyard Blues is walking distance of my home, I doubt I'll be visiting this club much - unless they work out a marketing partnership. After all, there's only one Backyard Burgers stand in Columbus, on the other side of town....



The other new club on the way is not that long a walk from Backyard Blues. The old City Grill at Dillingham and Broad in Phenix City is turning into "Broad Street Blues." This could turn into a perfect post-game hangout for the Columbus Cottonmouths - since the major league Philadelphia Flyers used to be called the "Broad Street Bullies" years ago.



Broad Street Blues truly is starting from scratch, as a sign outside the building openly asks for amplifiers. In 2006, it does no good to have the blues unless other people can hear you and share them with you.



(But really now - advertising outside your business for used amplifiers?! At least I had enough money in my business to buy new frisbees.)



Broad Street Blues could be in on the ground floor of a renovated downtown Phenix City. Dillingham and Broad isn't far from the area where major renovations and developments are planned - but then again, it's far enough away that the police headquarters is in the path.



Phenix City doesn't really have a big-time nightclub right now. Cadillac Jack's on the 280 Bypass turned out to be a flop, and now it's "Club Roc" - offering a mix of soul, hip-hop and Spanish music. It's such a strange place, I'm not sure it even offers rock music.



These two clubs are preparing to open in the wake of last week's opening of the Ma Rainey Blues Museum on Fifth Avenue in Columbus. I drove by it on the afternoon of its ribbon-cutting, and there were NO long lines waiting to get in. In fact, Rainey's old home had no cars around it at all. The staff down Seventh Street at the unemployment office must be working harder.



You wouldn't even it was the Ma Rainey Blues Museum without the state historic marker outside the front door. I mean, what sort of blues joint doesn't have at least one neon light?



For all the stories I'd heard about Ma Rainey, I never realized until I checked her name on Wikipedia that she was bisexual. It's a wonder that during her lifetime, she didn't sing the "Columbus Stockade Blues" - because she was locked up.



Maybe this blues club trend should extend outside Columbus and Phenix City. There were plenty of reasons for other people to have the blues Tuesday. West Point Home workers in Opelika and Lanett learned their mills will close -- and then Auburn moved up a smoking ban to November.



BLOG UPDATE: The e-mailer who told us about the Congress.org web site offered more help Tuesday, in tracking down the record of Rep. Sanford Bishop. The web site "power rankings" indeed show Bishop ranks a ZERO in terms of effectiveness and influence. If it wasn't for his years of experience, this Bishop might be little more than a pawn.



E-MAIL UPDATE: The doctor is out, but he's certainly not forgotten....



Richard Burkard,



I was doing a search on obituaries for Dr. Eric Buffong who, along with his daughter Alisha, passed in a terrible car accident last week. My family was good friends with the Buffong family and I, along with my family, am deeply saddened by their deaths. For you to make the juvenile comments such as the ones about his dreadlocks even more so trivializing his death, is disgusting. I hope your views aren't representative of the views of the people of Columbus, Georgia because I'd hate to think that a whole city of people could be so incorrigible and despicable. Yes, I do know about the charges that were brought against him, but I for one, don't believe them. I don't think that my father would welcome anyone in his house if they would have the potential to do something of that nature. There are some people of a different mindset and I would not be surprised if they were just going after money. People will sue over anything these days and I do not know all the facts but the things he was accused of are not things that I could envision Dr. Buffong doing at all. He was a man that was kind hearted and quick to make you laugh and laugh himself. I'd be more than glad to hear back from you and I'd like to see you repost this email in its entirety to let the world see a different opinion of the man other than your own. My email address is hilliar1@gmail.com and I'd love to discuss Dr. Buffong and any other matters that are on your mind.



Jonathan Hilliard



Thank you for writing - and our e-mails over the last few days (hopefully Jonathan went through all the messages and posts) truly have shown a wide range of opinions. In fact, I guess I should wait now for the protest letter from Locks of Love.



( I guess it's a good thing for Jonathan that Steve Irwin didn't die in Columbus. Part of me would be wondering if an Australian tabloid would print the front-page headline, "Crikey Croaks.")



Keep in mind the charges against Dr. Eric Buffong which led to a plea-bargain were criminal charges. Lawsuits by alleged victims were separate cases. And consider how many women probably dated John Mark Karr, before he was arrested in Thailand....



We're open to all opinions as long as you keep them clean - and now let's see if some quick shots can spark some more:


+ Which Columbus police officer was cut off by another driver on Macon Road, had to swerve his squad car to avoid a collision - then merely honked his horn at the driver and went on his way? Maybe this officer was concerned HE might be the "road rage," and someone might have a camcorder nearby.



+ Columbus Council heard complaints from Cherokee Avenue residents that new rumble strips are NOT slowing down cars -- and the rumbling only makes things noisier. Some of us who have slept for years with windows near the Oglethorpe Bridge have some tips for them. Listen to louder radio stations -- or get some ear buds, without plugging them into your iPods.



+ Marshall Middle School Principal Melvin Blackwell told WRBL absenteeism is high there partly because of bullies. If the students aren't going to form a "fight club," maybe the faculty should....



+ Instant Message to WRBL: No, I won't do it. I will NOT focus on all the foul-ups you had Tuesday, on your first full day with a new studio and set. I'll only say this - Auburn University's football team looked much more impressive in its opener.



People across metro Columbus and around the world read this blog every day. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 8482 (+ 272, 3.3%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats