Sunday, September 10, 2006

for 11 SEP 06: WHEN THE WORLD STOPPED TURNING



The lead story was Michael Jordan. At least it was for me. Hot rumors about Jordan coming out of retirement were the top item in my LaughLine edition of Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - and I mean to play basketball, not to play baseball in Birmingham.



I used to spend some very late nights writing LaughLine, and e-mailing it to subscribers across the U.S. So I went to bed after sending the September 11, 2001 edition around 3:00 a.m. It was after 10:00 that morning when I woke up and offered my usual morning prayer, as if it was another ordinary day. Perhaps this will teach me to pray, before hearing any news to pray about.



After the morning prayer, I turned on what used to be "ESPN Radio 1270" - and heard the voice of Peter Jennings instead of talk show host Tony Kornheiser. This seemed unusual, especially since Jennings wasn't talking at all about ice hockey.



Wondering what was up, I turned on TV - and then I learned it wasn't what was up, but what was down. ABC News showed a replay of one of the World Trade Center towers, collapsing before my very eyes. You don't really see that tape on newscasts today, even five years later. So you see - some journalists do have a little heart and compassion for viewers.



In that moment, as I watched one of the towers topple, I sized up what must have happened. An organized group must have come together after I went to bed, just as I'd heard ministers predict for years would someday happen. It was the great attack by the European Union - "so fast it will make your head spin," as one Pastor would say. Only here I was staring, more than spinning....



The church denominations I attend have warned for decades that someday Europe will attack the U.S. and win, taking the people of our country slaves. So this HAD to explain what happened at the World Trade Center. The church group which claimed to have a "more sure word of prophecy" called it, right? Well, uhhhh - nowadays I read more about the U.S. government plotting September 11, than I do the European plots.



No, my church denomination never prophesied that the September 11 attacks would occur the way they did. In fact, it occurred to me only recently that the ministers have never apologized for getting it wrong. They've plowed right on, explaining how current events somehow will make their prophetic views turn out accurate. Yet still, no angry French leaders have taken President Bush hostage.



But there was little time to analyze such things on September 11, 2001. A local TV station needed me to work that day. I had inside information that a news producer was about to be fired, and I'd be filling in for him -- only I was called in early for other duties. That producer still may not realize his job was extended one day by a bunch of radical terrorists.



We noted here from court documents last year how the September 11 attacks wound up saving Phil Scoggins's job at WRBL [7 Feb 05]. It also created some new jobs in Columbus as well - as security personnel were added to places such as the Government Center. And in true Columbus fashion, those people actually are friendly and smile at you once in a while.



This fifth anniversary of "Terror Tuesday" is a time to think about how much has changed since the attacks. You can see the evidence of it across the Columbus area....


+ Concrete barriers are in place in front of the main entrance to the Civic Center, along with a giant U.S. flag. Yet Sunday night cruisers still party in other parts of the parking lot.



+ One of the gates entering the Columbus Water Works plant on River Road is permanently closed. I'm not sure what happens if you try to enter through it. I'd guess giant water cannons are sprayed on you.



+ A small marker at the south end of the Phenix City Riverwalk remembers those who died in the September 11 attacks. If only they had been military veterans - things would be much more elaborate.



+ Fort Benning soldiers don't receive scoffing from some people, the way they did early in 2001. Now the thought of young men signing up for basic training actually has some logical sense behind it.



+ The presence of white powder can evacuate post offices, or even floors of the Government Center. Sales of talcum powder may never recover from that.



+ Gas prices are well above two dollars a gallon, even with the drop of recent weeks - but oh yeah, that has nothing to do with terrorism, does it?



If there's a memorial service planned in Columbus to mark September 11, I haven't heard it announced anywhere. I went to a couple in 2001, then to anniversary services in 2002 and 2003 - but was disappointed in 2004, when our weekly church service fell on that date and the Pastor decided to give a sermon on food. [True!]



The evening news Sunday noted how the fervor to attend church services jumped after September 11, 2001, but has come down since then. I guess that's why I was disappointed with the turnout at that Lakebottom Park prayer event over the weekend. More people seemed to be talking to the dogs they were walking.



Here's hoping you take some time today to think about the events of five years ago, what's happened since -- and how things might someday end. U.S. generals are calling this "The Long War." And if it's the religious war some say it is, Someone bigger than we are will have to intervene -- and tell us once and for all which group was right. If any.



COMING TUESDAY: An e-mailer wants equal time, to pick on WTVM....



People across metro Columbus and around the world read this blog every day. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 7677 (- 438, 5.4%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats