Sunday, February 19, 2006

19 FEB 06: WHO ARE THESE CLOWNS?



The Columbus Civic Center was filled with country music fans Saturday night, for a concert by Brad Paisley and Sara Evans. I'd say it was packed to the gills, but Vince Gill didn't perform.



Today's event at the Columbus Civic Center may be a harder sell - two performances of the "Clyde Beatty/Cole Brothers Circus." I say it's a harder sell because you can see circuses in other places for free. For instance, there are occasional Russell County Commission meetings....



The Clyde Beatty Circus is taking an advertising route I never expected. I came home from work Thursday night to find the circus had left a message on my answering machine. I'm not sure how it obtained my phone number - especially since my apartment has a "no-pets" clause in the lease.



The message promoting the circus obviously was pre-recorded, and had a man whose voice sounded like he could be the ringmaster. Either that, or he's between car commercials for a radio station....



Because the message was taped, my answering machine only caught the last few seconds of it. But I wonder how many people will be inspired to go to a circus, based on a hard-selling phone call. Wouldn't a strange-sounding clown be more attention-getting?



(Old, tired riddle of the day: Why don't cannibals eat clowns? Because they taste funny.)



Those of you on the "no-call list" would be amazed by how many telemarketing calls these days are made by computers. I get one all the time offering me a pre-approved credit card. When I can repeat the instructions "please press zero now" word for word, they've called me enough.



(So why haven't I put my name on the no-call list? Because if it wasn't for telemarketer calls, sometimes I'd go days without any calls at all.)



When it comes to in-person telemarketing calls, I probably get more these days from the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer than any other business. The operators are disappointed to learn I don't want to subscribe -- and if I absolutely need to read the paper, the library is only a short drive away.



I used to receive lots of calls from long-distance phone companies, but they've practically stopped. One recently offered to lower the "service charge on my local phone bill" - but when I pulled out my bill to look it up, we were disconnected. If that's the high quality long-distance line you have, forget it....



E-MAIL UPDATE: Last Wednesday's item about the property dispute at 13th and Cedar brought this fascinating message about the supposed high bidder at auction, Ted Pierce:



If you met Ted you would think he was one of the nicest, most personable people you had ever met. He is always dressed in an expensive suit, looks very professional and talks a great game. The problem is that he is a "con-man" and "deadbeat". No financial institution would loan him money or even allow him to sign a note due to his credit history. He cannot own property or anything of value in his name due to all the liens and judgements that are recorded against him. I wonder who is behind his interest in the property and what is in it for TEDDY. You can't help but like him though!



Oh dear -- what judge's office is Mr. Pierce seeking in the next election?



I wonder who really sent this message about Ted Pierce. The only address I have is the e-mail name "fearsnot." I don't know why he or she wants me to fear that - unless too much of it gets stuffed in my nose, and I can't breathe....



To the best of my knowledge, I haven't met Ted Pierce. But if he's the "deadbeat" he's alleged to be, how can he afford expensive suits -- much less a nice corner lot in midtown Columbus? Should the lawyer who's speaking for him at Columbus Council meetings expect some checks to bounce?



YOUR OVERWHELMINGLY FIRST-RATE LOCAL BLOG WINTER OLYMPIC COVERAGE: No one from Columbus competed in the Winter Olympics Friday and Saturday. But I'm wondering if the Cottonmouths might have fared better than the U.S. team, and actually beat Latvia.



Now for other notes from a chilly President's Day weekend:


+ Smiths Station city councilors joined everyday citizens in a Saturday trash pickup - part of "M.L.K. Pride" months. I never would have guessed Smiths Station would become one of the Combined Communities of Southeast Columbus.



+ Part of 13th Street in downtown Phenix City was named the "Freddie Hart Parkway," after the singer of the country classic "Easy Lovin'." Now if they would only add another lane of traffic, to allow easy driving....



+ Presidential cousin and fashion model Lauren Bush attended an Auburn University conference on preventing world hunger. Hopefully Bush is doing her part, by making sure Kate Moss eats on a regular basis.



+ A live commercial for Bill Heard Chevrolet featured Phil Carter saying the dealership was "next to Columbus Square Mall." He corrected himself on the spot - but come to think of it, Peachtree Mall would make a very roomy branch library.



+ Police in Birmingham announced the biggest drug bust in Alabama history. Almost one ton of marijuana was seized at what officers called a "routine traffic stop." With that much pot?! What did the driver do - drive his truck too slowly down the interstate?



+ The Chattahoochee Valley Vipers indoor football team played a pre-season game at the Civic Center. Team officials promise to be involved locally, including helping children with their homework. But if players provide the right answers, isn't that illegal procedure?



+ Auburn University retired the basketball jerseys of Chuck and Wesley Person. They HAD to do both together - else one might have filed a missing Person's report.



+ "GCW Hi-Voltage" on WRBL showed professional wrestler "Loverboy" Lee Thomas wearing purple and lace in the ring. This is no way to bring "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" to Columbus.



(I had not watched this Saturday night "wrestling news" program before, and discovered the organization's first name has changed from Georgia to GREAT Championship Wrestling. Great?! A few moments of the action only rated pretty good to me....)



+ Instant Message to the friends who worship with me at church: I think I've finally figured this out. Since you wouldn't even open the box of crackers I brought for Saturday's soup and sandwich dinner, you must believe I need to eat them at home during the week to survive.



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: Our condolences to blogging buddy Nathan Albright of Tampa, on the recent death of his father.)



COMING THIS WEEK: A big anniversary approaches.... but how much of this do I dare reveal?....



Your PayPal donations can keep this blog ad-free and independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 5435 (+ 242, 4.7%)



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.




site stats