Saturday, November 20, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



20 NOV 04: SAVE A HORSE



"Is that a brown seahorse?" At least that's what I thought the woman asked, as I got out of my car Friday afternoon. I was on South Lumpkin Road, but well down the road from Oxbow Meadows.



It turns out the woman was saying something else. "Do you have a bouncy horse?" This still was a puzzling question, since I was wearing a dress shirt and tie. I don't even own boots, much less a cowboy hat.



Not sure of the woman's point, I answered her question as simply as I could. "I don't own a horse. I have a Honda." For all I knew, this woman could have been drunk at about 1:00 p.m.



This reply brought a moment of silence in the parking lot - then the woman and I went on our separate ways. So did I miss something, perhaps some bit of slang? Or was this woman in serious need of an eye doctor?



The only thing I can guess the woman was talking about was the way my car stopped in the parking lot. Admittedly, my brakes have been a bit hesitant and shaky lately - but at least they still work. My car doesn't act like it's on the world's loosest shock absorbers, like they sometimes show on B.E.T.



After ten-and-a-half years and more than 101,000 miles, I'm starting to wonder if it's time to say farewell to my humble Honda. Not only do the brakes seem weak, but the car goes uphill a lot better during summer when I turn off the air
conditioning.



One of my co-workers sensed my concern this past week, and wrote down details of a car he'd like to sell me. It's a used 2004 Toyota, and includes a "four night hotel stay" if it breaks down out of town. If the car company is offering this, how
much confidence should I have in the engine?



Let's pull over for a moment now, and check other weekend wonders:


+ The high temperature today was 72 degrees F. At times like these, only one thing is lacking around Columbus. Who wants to move the Gulf of Mexico north about 200 miles, so we can go walking on the beach?



+ The country group "Big 'N Rich" appeared at the Columbus Civic Center - and wow, did I misunderstand this event! I thought the Atlanta Hawks were playing basketball....



+ Iraqi soldiers raided a Baghdad mosque after Friday prayers, seeking suspected government opponents. I heard this on the radio, and wondered Muscogee County Sheriff Deputies started consulting the Iraqi army.



+ Instant Message to the Winn-Dixie store on South Lumpkin Road: You have Famous Amos vanilla sandwich cookies for $1.79 - but the chocolate sandwich cookies are $1.99? Are you guys for "One Columbus" or not?



POEM OF THE DAY: Someone complained on a message board the other night about the news media calling states "red states" and "blue states" based on the Presidential election. That inspired me to write this reply - and with "Seussical" coming to the Springer Opera House, it's even more appropriate:



One state, two state. Red state, Blue state.


Which one is a W state?



One is for the G.O.P.


Another was for John Kerry.



Let's put colors on them all.


Have a patriotic ball!



If your state has just turned blue,


Election night you cried boo-hoo.



If your state is colored red --


Deficits to match ahead.



(And not one state is colored Green.


That party's turnout was too lean.)



States are labeled red and blue


Since plaid and polka-dot won't do.



COMING SUNDAY: The dueling demonstrations....



To offer a story tip, make a donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.