Tuesday, March 23, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



23 MAR 04: HUNGRY?



Did you hear about the disgusting scene at "Flea Market City" on Victory Drive? Police say Ivan Bradley killed a cat there Sunday - then skinned it, so he could EAT it! [True/WTVM] Obviously this man is into the Atkins Diet, because he DID remove the skin....



(I've heard for years there's "more than one way to skin a cat," but this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone staging a demonstration.)



Ivan Bradley could go to prison for animal cruelty, after his arrest on charges of killing and skinning a cat. To do this sort of thing truly fits the definition of a cat-astrophe....



(What puzzles me about this case is that Flea Market City isn't too far down Victory Drive from restaurants such as Wendy's, Taco Bell and Krystal. If this man is stooping to eating cats, what's really in THEIR food?)



And another thing: the phone book lists the location of this alleged cat-skinning as "Flea Market City and SNACK BAR." It looks like it's time to upgrade the menu from candy bars....



Speaking of strange foods: I've mentioned in Blogger's Notes that I'm doing spring cleaning right now. The good news is things are going well. But the strangest development so far occurred Sunday afternoon -- a box of chewed-up crayons in a
drawer. Before you ask: no, I stop at chewing pencils and pens.



I have a little box of eight Crayola crayons, which I picked up with a free coupon from Kroger years ago. I use them for markers once in awhile -- but I don't go as far as the Olive Branch restaurant, and put them on the kitchen table for visitors.



Of the eight Crayola crayons, black was torn almost in half -- and maybe I broke that one awhile back. But an inch of the blue crayon was devoured about halfway in, paper and all. I'm guessing the roaches in my house consider the darker colors to be more full-bodied in flavor.



On the other hand, the green and yellow crayons in the box seemed untouched by the hungry bugs. Hmmmm.... maybe roaches avoid eating vegetables like many of the rest of us.



But then again, the red and orange crayons had well-chewed paper wrappers - with NO damage to the crayons themselves. So maybe all these roaches want is fiber in their diets.



I've become convinced over the years that roaches are attracted to certain items by their smells. If they're near a drawer, they smell the distinct odor of crayons and give them a try. And from the dead bugs I've found in open glasses, a few drops
of orange juice makes them drunk.



To offer a story tip, make a donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.