Thursday, January 09, 2003

9 JAN 03: IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING



Today's high temperature in Columbus: 71 degrees F.! When
will the rumors come true, about Disney building a theme park up
the road at Callaway Gardens?



My TV station went to a golf course, and found guys out practicing
their drives in the 70-degree sunshine. One of them was the
Columbus State University golf coach - who has a distinctive British
accent. Boy, Southern "sweet tea" must have come as a shock to
him.



I went for a sunset run, on a course taking me across the river into
Phenix City, AL. I used to call this my "bi-city challenge" - but not
anymore. I suddenly realized the other day it's much more
impressive to call it a bi-STATE run. Ooooh, you worked much
harder!



On the way home, I passed a house on Broadway where a mom (I
suppose) was outside with several children - aboard a riding lawn
mower! I think the youngsters heard me say as I jogged by: "It
MUST be spring! The lawn mowers are out."



(I think Mom really was blowing leaves off the lawn. But that
riding mower was so big that I think the leaves turned into mulch on
the spot.)



The course finished at home - and as I prepared to go to dinner
from there, I saw a long line of cars outside my window on the
Oglethorpe Bridge leading to the Columbus Civic Center. Tonight is
the "Bill Gaither Homecoming" concert, which always draws a big
crowd. And if anything ever happens to him, they can simply change
the sign to "Home-going concert."



I went to a Krystal's for dinner (6 cheese ones now cost more than
four bucks?!) - and as I drove home, I passed two police cars which
had pulled someone over near downtown. I couldn't help wondering
if one of the Gaither fans was stopped for being "filled with the
spirit." (Small s.)