Tuesday, January 21, 2003

21 JAN 03: THE WORKER "B"



One secret to successful blogging is to do it on a regular basis. This assumes, of course, you have time to do this. My work schedule lately has been SO BUSY that I barely have time to saw logs - much less see blogs.



Already this week I've produced the 11:00 p.m. TV news Saturday night, the 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Sunday night, the 5:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m. news Monday - then returned late Monday night to produce the 6:00 a.m. news today! If this keeps up, I may apply for an easier job. Like firefighting.



(After considering my two trips to work Monday morning and Monday night, I realized I went beyond the standard for Martin Luther King Day. I had TWO days on, and not a day off.)



It doesn't help that in the midst of all this work, I developed my first cold of the season. It's only by a miracle of God that I sang a solo over the weekend (8 Jan) without my voice cracking. Sometimes I think the ministers should switch from anointing oil for healing to Mentholatum ointment.



(I'm also relieved to report I sang "As the Deer" without any hunters in the congregation rushing outside for their rifles.)



As they say in radio traffic reports, my cold is in the "final clearing stages" this evening. In a hopeful sign, I was able to go running outside without spitting grunge out even once.



So let's see - what have I missed in the last few days?



+ At the intersection of Tenth Street and First Avenue, at the crossroads of the Government Center, Springer Opera House and RiverCenter for the Performing Arts, there's a new landmark - a port-a-john! Is this something to make the non-cultured people feel comfortable?



+ Bob Riley took the oath of office as Governor of our cross-river state of Alabama. During the inaugural events, he promised at one point to "end racial tension" in Alabama. For starters, every Republican who voted for the Governor should leave the state immediately.



+ Our local school district announced five high schools will have to move their commencement exercises out of the downtown Civic Center, because the arena football team reserved the Saturday of graduation weekend first. How nice of our school officials to set an example for students, about planning for your future.



+ Isn't it interesting how times have changed in the U.S.? Hardly anyone considers Bill Gates an international pariah anymore.