Monday, July 26, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



26 JUL 04: PETERS ON PARADE



After a short pause to reload, the campaign commercials resumed over the weekend. U.S. Senate candidate Cliff Oxford attacked Denise Majette for taking an $18,000 trip to "job-stealing" India. The sooner Alabama's Governor gets home from
Europe, the better....



At least there's no more debate about the Superior Court Judge race in Columbus. If there still is, there's a good place to settle it. Coming September 4 to the Civic Center - the "Chaos in Columbus" pro boxing card.



Your blog wound up with many more letters supporting Bobby Peters than Roxann Daniel. Since three supporters never took my challenge and paid to have their endorsements posted, I've decided to post them now and get them out of the way.
After all, Peters would look silly taking a victory lap around Georgia like Sonny Perdue....





I know you said you didn't want to post anymore "Bobby emails", but I hope you will this one last time. (If Daniels isn't getting any feedback, then her supporters should get off the pot!)



I have lived here all of my life and Bobby is someone the people want to see in our legal or government process. He has always been a great attorney, but his most important and impressive work has been that of public servant. I hope most of the people realize as I do, that we are lucky to have such a skilled and compassionate person wanting to stay in his hometown and strive for positive change, rather than take off for the much higher levels of government he could so easily attain. He cares about this town. I don't really know anything about Roxann Daniel except what I've seen here lately and it hasn't been enough to convince me to vote for her.



As for the last email posted. I HAVE seen Bobby try to eat in a local restaraunt. A short time back, he was with a very beautiful lady friend and they apparently decided not to even order and then left. Of course they were both wearing friendly smiles as they did leave, (he always seems to be courteous
and polite.) I don't care about his or anyone elses relationships or divorces. But I do agree with the person that wrote he MUST be a great person if even his ex-wife can be as friendly and supportive as she is. That was an important point to make.



I don't think he considers the person that "buses his table" any lower than anyone else either. I'm sure the lady didn't mean her statement the way it sounded, (by saying "down to the person that buses his table") but I wanted to clarify that a little better if I could.



He is the best person for the job.



Priscilla Wagner



Apparently the majority agreed with Priscilla's view about Judge-Elect Peters. But hold on a second - we never heard anyone accuse Roxann Daniel's supporters of using pot.



I've personally wondered why Bobby Peters didn't try for a "higher level of government," such as a seat in the state legislature or Congress. Now that he's officially turning non-partisan, the Democrats might not want him helping their
campaigns anymore.



I would imagine Bobby Peters would support someone who "buses his table." After all, he's endorsed METRA funding for years.... but let's move on:



In the Ledger this past Saturday, (06-26-04) a letter was printed by a woman named Bobbie Alexander in response to an alleged phone call she received from Judge Daniel's people, wanting to dig up negative reports on Bobby Peters. If this is true, then I am now convinced to cast my vote for Bobby Peters, because Judge Daniels obviously doesn't possess a clue with her investigative skills. We have seen Bobbie Alexander when she lived in this fair city. Although she was attractive enough, she is not anything like the stunning southern belle my wife and I saw him with a few months back. We were dining out and saw Mr. Peters walk in with a long legged American beauty on his arm and I wanted go over and shake the lads hand just for that! (My wife would have konked me though) . I suppose this
is what you Americans mean by dirty politics.



I thought my homeland of Britain could be unscrupulous in their political games! What fun! My wife and I love your Blog, it's a lot like a little Ledger published back home that we miss so much.



Charles Fellowes



Aw, c'mon! Who IS this mysterious woman Bobby Peters is taking to local restaurants? She's beautiful, long-legged - he couldn't be dating former Miss Georgias, could he?



I'd wondered whatever happened to Bobbie Alexander. When I moved to Columbus seven years ago, she was described as Bobby Peters's fianceé and an aide to Congressman Mac Collins. But perhaps marriage would have led to a major decision - such as the then-Mayor having to change his name to Robert.



Which reminds me: a friend of mine recalled the other day attending a Bobby Peters "celebrity roast" years ago. Ex-wife Susan Peters stood at the dais, and asked everyone in the room who had dated him to stand - and on cue, all the women did (along with a couple of men).



British politics truly can have some "gamesmanship" to them. Of course, over there the steamy love affairs tend to be with top-secret spies.... but we have one more e-mail:



I would love for you to post this email in support of his character and dedication to Columbus. Someone in his position is bound to have just as many enemies as he does supporters. The fact is that Bobby has worked hard and honestly in his career and deserves the Superior Court Judge position, but
more importantly, he doesn't deserve these attacks on his character. I hope that people will re-focus their energy back to the issues and stay out of other areas. We would only be hurting ourselves and our community in the long run, by not making our voting decision based on the issues facing our judicial system.



He is a good man.



Kim P.



Kim, I'm reminded of what a radio station adviser wrote about me when I worked in Oklahoma some 20 years ago - "what character, what A character...."



Perhaps Bobby Peters has "as many enemies as he does supporters." If that's so, the enemies must have hated BOTH candidates so much that they left the ballot blank last week.



CLASSIC BLOG: Bobby Peters was mentioned in our very first blog entry 18 months ago. Let's see what we wrote about
him, even before he became interested in running for judge:



6 JAN 03: The inauguration of a new Mayor [Bob Poydasheff] meant our two-term Mayor had to give up his job. He bounced in and out of the reception - and showed his usual great sense of humor. He was the only man in the room with a big X on his name tag. [True!]



27 JUN 03: All kidding aside, I'd like to suggest the new bridge on Veterans Parkway be named after former Columbus Mayor Bobby Peters. After all, he lives on First Avenue - so he can appreciate the end of detours more than anybody.



26 OCT 03: So what's Bobby Peters doing, nearly a year after leaving the Columbus Mayor's office? He put a small ad in the newspaper the other day, promoting his legal practice on First Avenue -- and if you've seen Mr. Peters, you know "small" is quite appropriate.



The newspaper ad invited us to check Bobby Peters's web site - and it's rather modest as well. But we already know what the most popular section of the web site will be. If only Mr. Peters would tell us if his two blonde daughters are married or
not....



Bobby Peters's web site offers several kinds of legal help. But strangely, it does NOT mention his consulting work earlier this year for the city of Cusseta - in the dispute over whether or not that city's Mayor resigned. Apparently he only promotes the legal advice people actually accept.



The web site includes a lengthy endorsement/biography of Bobby Peters by his longtime Executive Assistant at the Government Center, Ed Wilson. Some of us would have been more impressed if Councilor Nathan Suber had written it.



My home isn't that far from Bobby Peters's "home office" on First Avenue -- and last time I checked, he was still taking good care of his classic 50's-era Ford Thunderbird. He had it on sale for awhile early in the year -- but apparently his legal practice IS getting clients now.



To offer a story tip, make a donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.