Wednesday, April 30, 2003







Burkard's Blog of Columbus, Georgia



BURKARD'S BLOG






I searched on the Internet, and found no one keeping a blog about events in Columbus, Georgia. (Well, other than a 15-year-old high school student, and who knows how much he pays attention to the news?) So being the hip web-savvy guy that I am, I decided to start a blog of my own - chronicling happenings in the town I've called home for almost six years, as well as my experiences in it.



But be warned.... I used to have a humor service called LaughLine.com, so my views may be a bit amusing. And the views are my own -- no one has paid me to present theirs. Not yet.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



30 APR 03: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ



Tomorrow I mark six years at the TV station where I do freelance work. I started as a full-time news producer. Now - well, for the last eight months I've STILL been a full-time news producer.



There are many things I've come to like about Columbus, six years after moving from metro Atlanta. The traffic jams are far less frequent. My rent never has increased. And I actually can go for a jog from my home, without worrying getting run over by fast cars or stopped by street beggars.



I've now lived long enough in Columbus to have memories of how things USED to be. For instance:



+ In 1997 the block where the RiverCenter stands was a big parking lot for Columbus city employees. Now they've made real progress - with a RiverCenter parking lot that has more than one level.



+ Today Columbus has only one enclosed shopping mall. In 1997 it had - no wait, Columbus Square was already two-thirds empty then.



+ In 1997 Columbus and Auburn had several "Bullitt's" fast-food restaurants. Today you can't even have a pro basketball team with a name like that.



+ In 1997 Columbus had a new indoor soccer team, the Comets. Today it has a new baseball team, the Waves - which might stay about as long, one season.



+ In 1997 WRBL's sports department had three people. Today, as Jack Rodgers left on a trip to Romania, it officially has none for awhile. As we say, progress.



+ In 1997 WTVM showed the family comedy "Step by Step" weeknights at 7:30 p.m. Today it's gone - and missed by absolutely no one.



+ In 1997 local advertisers boycotted WTVM for showing "Ellen." Nowadays no one seems to notice WLTZ showing "Will and Grace."



+ In 1997 WDAK radio had "Imus in the Morning" while WRCG had Scott Miller. Today they're at the exact opposite stations. I won't be surprised if six years from now, they're simulcasting on both of them.



More sixth anniversary reflections are coming soon....