Saturday, August 15, 2009

15 AUG 09: Rainbow Connection



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find the following item humorous, serious, or a little of both - but we offer these thoughts from time to time, as we keep a seventh-day Sabbath.)



If the weather forecast is right, Columbus is in for a rainy weekend. It might not be hot, but it's likely to be humid - making things stickier than the Dolly Madison bakery at cinnamon roll time.



If the rainstorm is just right, you might see something magnificent in the sky. At the risk of offending some people, I'm disappointed by how the homosexual movement has expropriated the rainbow as a symbol. For one thing, it's made me less interested than ever in eating Lucky Charms cereal.



I'm disappointed by this because the rainbow already had symbolism for another reason, which few people probably know about. The Biblical book of Genesis says God put one in the clouds after Noah and his family survived the flood. It was part of a covenant promising waters no longer will cover the earth to destroy all life. You'll notice Sherwin-Williams paint has yet to do it, either....



A local pastor declared two years ago God brought drought to the Southeast because Atlanta and the Orlando area embraced the homosexual lifestyle. I'm not sure how many people repented, but the drought is gone in Georgia and Florida. In fact, big rainstorms came twice during my day at Walt Disney World last week - but I'm not taking credit for being that perfect and holy.



Walt Disney World's Epcot Center sells "mouse pins" depicting several national flags, from the U.S. to Germany. I couldn't help noticing there were rainbow pins on sale - but none which seemed to depict anything Biblical or Christian. Does Disney count the stuffed "Nemo" dolls as a fish symbol?



But as the second storm of the day let up, I left Walt Disney World to begin the drive home - and saw what a real rainbow was all about. It was large, and visible to downtown Orlando drivers along Interstate 4. No, I did NOT follow it to find a "pot of gold" and make my trip free of charge.



Since it was my birthday, I was prepared to accept the rainbow as a sign from God that the trip to Walt Disney World was OK. Only days later did I realize something else - by driving away to see a rainbow, I missed a fireworks show at sunset.



But a few minutes later, a caller to a Christian radio station in Orlando changed my perspective. A mother said her young daughter was born without eyesight, but God was restoring her vision - and it was the first rainbow that child had ever seen. Wow, how selfish was my thinking. And how big God can be, to offer signs in the heavens that many people can share.



SCHEDULED SUNDAY: CB&T, meet BB&T....



The number of unique visitors to our blog in the first half of 2009 was up 11.1 percent! To advertise to them, offer a story tip, make a PayPal donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 379 (- 92, 19.5%, record low)



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author -- not necessarily those of anyone else in Columbus living or dead, and perhaps not even you.



© 2003-09 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats