Saturday, February 14, 2009

14 FEB 09: The Ol' Switcheroo



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this item humorous, serious, or a little of both - but we offer these thoughts from time to time, as we keep a seventh-day Sabbath.)



It happened to me again the other day. I drove to a funeral, and an attendant in the parking lot thought for a minute I was a minister. Carrying a Bible around with you can have unexpected advantages....



No, I did NOT walk into the service and take charge. Instead, I let a real church pastor tell the story of a long-time co-worker. He was diagnosed with cancer in December, and died only weeks later. I never knew he was ill until his death was announced in the office -- well after any wrestlers could organize a battle royal in his behalf.



The pastor did NOT whitewash this co-worker's life in his eulogy. He noted the man had trouble maintaining his second marriage, and needed treatment from Alcoholics Anonymous. In fact, he died days before marking the 13th anniversary of his recovery -- which I'm not sure is even safe to do at a coffee shop.



Yet the mood was not completely melancholy at this man's memorial service. In fact, up-tempo jazz music was played on the speakers before and after the service. I overheard an attendant saying that's what the deceased liked, and what he wanted played at his funeral. Yet I somehow doubt this is done at funerals of "gangsta rap" stars....



How could toe-tapping upbeat music be played at a man's funeral, especially when he wasn't even 60 years old? The pastor's eulogy didn't directly answer that, but he gave the best explanation: my co-worker was a committed Christian for years. Of course, scoffers would say that sort of Christian SHOULD be committed -- as in a mental home.



Hold on here, you may be saying - this man was a Christian?! Someone with a failed marriage, who battled the bottle for years? Well, the Biblical book of Matthew quotes Jesus as saying we're to "be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Accomplishing that takes time - even a lifetime. I'm not perfect, else I'd win every poker tournament I enter.



I did a detailed Bible study into this topic last year, and was a bit surprised by what I found. All your hard work at being perfect won't make you perfect. The key lies in committing your life to Someone who is. With all due respect to my bosses - no, I'm NOT talking about you.



Making that commitment to Jesus Christ can mean making major changes in how you live. For instance, the apostle Paul advised in Ephesians: "He who has been stealing must steal no longer...." Imagine how this verse could change the way basketball teams play defense....



It means living a life of righteousness and holiness. To borrow from what WLTZ will do next week, you may have to make a "Big Switch" to become a Christian. But the switch really is worth it - and what do you know? It involves a converter. Take that Bible out of the "converter box," and let it convert you.



Making the Christian Big Switch won't always guarantee a perfect reception of God's wavelength. Satan the devil can cause disruptions, as they did for my late co-worker -- interference which can make things as blurry as a pixilated screen. But all in all, the picture of God's plan for you will become a lot clearer. And the "digit" to remember is one - which is what God is.



SCHEDULED SUNDAY: An e-mail complaint about a sports cliche....



The number of unique visitors to our blog has doubled since 2006! To advertise to them, offer a story tip, make a PayPal donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 1,439 (- 151, 9.5%)



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author -- not necessarily those of anyone else in Columbus living or dead, and perhaps not even you.



© 2003-09 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats