Sunday, August 13, 2006

for 14 AUG 06: IN THE CROSSFIRE



She drinks vanilla nutrition snakes. He chomps on chewing gum, and she sometimes scolds him for it. Together, they host what I'm told is now the highest-rated local talk show on Columbus radio. It may be time for Mike Gaymon on WDAK's "Viewpoint" to add a female sidekick.



If you weren't listening to WRCG-AM Friday morning, I spent half-an-hour with Antonio Carter and Robbie Watson on "TalkLine." My main reason for being there was to promote Power Frisbee's "Free Frisbee Sunday" (and we thank those of you who showed up). But as Watson said at one point, "I don't do sports. I do political talk radio." Her conversion from TV truly is complete.



The guests on TalkLine sit between the hosts in their small studio, which is probably no bigger than some people's bedrooms. But here's the strange thing -- from where I sat, Robbie Watson was to my left and Antonio Carter to my right. Very strange....



Robbie Watson and I have been co-workers and buddies since I first moved to Columbus nine years ago. But this was my first time meeting Antonio Carter - and you may be surprised to learn he did NOT accuse me of racism on the spot, or ask for a donation to the National Action Network.



Robbie Watson sits on the side of the control panel with an Internet computer, so she can call up everything from this blog to breaking news. On the other side, Antonio Carter had room to spread out the Ledger-Enquirer - and if a call became too boring, he could stick chewing gum in his mouth and read the comics.



But on Friday morning, Antonio Carter found something surprising on the comics pages. One of the advice columnists had a letter from "Fred and Ginger in Columbus, Georgia" - a couple whose dancing skills are putting their friends to shame. Maybe it's time to dump the "Fox 54's Idol"contest, so we can see this.



"The blogger is in the house," Robbie Watson warned TalkLine listeners just before the 8:00 a.m. news. As if I'm the only one in town?! Well, then again, I don't want to risk losing readers and having to cut my advertising rates....



"You are the talk of the town," Robbie Watson told me during a break before my appearance on TalkLine. The hosts apparently think I'm getting noticed in public because of this blog. Not if I pay cash for items at the store, I don't....



But Robbie Watson was pumped by the notion that her show is becoming the "talk of the town" again. Watson was shown the latest radio ratings last week, and she claims they show between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., "we kick WDAK's b**t." Scott Miller might need to make the "guess the birthday age" game a little more exciting.



We're waiting for the spring radio ratings to be posted online to confirm this. But while TalkLine reportedly is making a comeback, Robbie Watson claims Doug Kellett's new show flopped against WDAK's Rush Limbaugh. There's a clear and obvious reason for this - people are listening to Limbaugh to hear how drugged-out he really sounds.



At 8:06 a.m. or so, the TalkLine segment with your blogger began -- and Antonio Carter came up with the perfect way to tie Power Frisbee together with political talk radio. "Get Bob Poydasheff and Jim Wetherington together on the field," he suggested. Now THAT'S a good idea, only nine days before the election! Besides, it might launch a Power Frisbee seniors' tour.



To be honest, the hosts of TalkLine were the most skeptical people I've met so far to the concept of Power Frisbee -- especially in Columbus. "People don't want to pay to see sports in Columbus," they reminded me. Imagine if the Northern Little League team charged admission - they might draw worse than the Catfish.



After explaining how Power Frisbee worked (and Antonio Carter is sure Robbie Watson would have the stronger arm), it was time to "dish the dirt," as Watson put it. And I thought the song "Red Dirt Road" only applied to Kissin' 99.3 inside the Archway Broadcasting building....



I gave the hosts and TalkLine audience a thorough briefing on Mayor Bob Poydasheff's campaign kickoff rally the evening before [11 Aug]. They were as puzzled as I was about the mayor's reference to a vote on "November the 19th" - but I'd been thinking about it overnight. "Isn't that S.O.A. Watch Sunday?" I speculated.



The hosts of TalkLine asked a couple of good, unexpected questions - such as whether I'd posted anything here that I regretted later. Yes, there are a couple of things - and if Jose Ricci ever surfaces from hiding for his federal trial, I may apologize to him in person.



Yes, I was willing to take telephone questions of the TalkLine audience. This is where it's good to pay off your credit card bills on time every month....



But the only caller during the half-hour was local political watcher and TalkLine regular Burt Coker. He's talking about going to the Government Center today, and filing to be a write-in candidate for mayor. "I'm the problem solver," Coker told me - to which I tried to remind him WRBL already had taken that title.



I was stunned that my half-hour of TalkLine went by without a break, and commercial-free. But then again, I suppose I was presenting a commercial of sorts, wasn't I?



Perhaps Antonio Carter and Robbie Watson will invite me back on TalkLine someday. And perhaps other area bloggers now will be willing to come out of seclusion, and appear on this show. If the hosts stump you, that's OK - sometimes the radio callers go off on such wild tangents that the hosts are stumped themselves.



BLOG UPDATE: We learned more Sunday about the summer furloughs at the Georgia Department of Revenue. It turns out the layoffs involve temporary personnel only -- and the mail room staff is away for two weeks, not only one. It's simply too easy for full-time tax analysts to receive e-mailed love letters.



E-MAIL UPDATE: Aren't we all thrilled for the Columbus Northern team, heading for the Little League World Series? Well, I suppose so - but....



Just watched the Northern All Stars win the next level of playoff and heading to the Little League World Series...Each time a batter came up the camera would show the parent's in the stand..I thought that was cool...UNTIL...I realized that sitting next to Jimmy and Beth Lester was Bobby Howard of CHS baseball...Josh Lester hit a homerun and is a strong defensive player..THe the pitcher for Nothern had an amazing 80mph fastball...I thought Charlie Flowers said there would not be any more recruting,right?



Now, now - maybe Bobby Howard was watching the Florida team for potential talent. "Northern" means Northside High, right?!



The fact that Columbus High's Bobby Howard could go to the Little League regionals after the start of the school year shows one big difference between this area and where I went to high school. My old school's baseball coaches were busy teaching at other times of year. Howard apparently doesn't have a Directed Reading program to oversee.



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: We'll have early post times for a couple more nights this week, at around 9:00 p.m. ET. This should end around Thursday.)



People across metro Columbus and around the world read this blog every day. To advertise to them, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 6810 (- 258, 3.7%)



If you mention this blog in public, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats