Sunday, March 09, 2003

9 MAR 03: LOOSE ENDS AND BEGINNINGS



We may finally have resolved the issue of what a "hemi" is. [14 Jan] At church this weekend, two men explained it was a metal rod Dodge put in the engine years ago to increase compression, so drivers would have more power With my humble Honda, "increased compression" means you move the seat closer to the steering wheel.



The issue came up as several men at church were discussing a "concept motorcycle" they saw in the newspaper. It has two wheels in front, two in back, with the seat on a hump in the middle. Didn't they call this years ago a convertible?



This weekend marks the start of spring cleaning for me -- a process I allocate five-and-a-half weeks to do. Now if Saddam Hussein will kindly cooperate and resign, so I don't lose any days to a war....



(Which reminds me: was it Britain's idea to set the deadline for Iraq at March 17 - Saint Patrick's Day? Where is the outrage from the Irish at this? Civil rights groups protested at the Kuwait deadline of January 15, 1991 being Martin Luther King's birthday.)



My cleaning traditionally begins in the bathroom -- with an hour spent last night simply on the bathtub area. It takes so long because I keep dreaming the shower water somehow will rinse all the soap scum away.



I took a Sunday drive to Auburn-Opelika today, because that area has Kroger stores while Columbus does not. But you'd better carry a "Kroger Plus" card, or you'll pay about 30 percent more for everything. It's sort of like Sam's Club, only without screeners at the door.



Sometimes the spelling errors at Kroger amaze me. The sign in the produce section said "Hokay Tomatoes" - even though the label clearly says "Hokee." Maybe this is why Kroger doesn't sell eyeglasses.



On the way home, I passed the Denny's restaurant in Opelika - well, it was. It's now closed, even though a district manager told me weeks ago at the TV station a closing was a false rumor spread by a "disgruntled employee." Maybe that employee knew three-fourths of the customers.



To top off the afternoon, my old alma mater Kansas came from behind in the last two minutes to beat Missouri, and win the Big XII Championship! It makes me want to sing: "Oh, Columbia's the GERM of Missouri...."