Monday, March 03, 2003

3 MAR 03: REVENGE OF THE BIRDS



Today officially has been declared by Columbus Council "News Three On Your Side Day." I think I can understand why - but keep one thing in mind. 3 + 03 + 03 = 9.



I wrapped up work on the overnight shift so quickly that I was home by 7:50 a.m., and in bed a touch after 8:00. But at 11:55 a.m., a sudden rattling awakened me. Oh, no! The Iraqi invaders have drooped paratroopers, to launch the pre-emptive strike....



No wait, that's not what the noise was. Another bird was in the house -- and this time took up position at my bedroom window sill. If this keeps up, I may have to rent that Alfred Hitchcock movie to learn how to keep them out.



Unlike last week, this bird apparently got in the house through a vent tube over the kitchen stove. I'd heard a noise from that area Sunday - but how can you really tell a bird's rattle from a rat's noise?



(Two vent drops in one week - do these birds think I run a theme park or something?)



I hurried out of bird - er, bed - and persuaded the bird to head out the front door to freedom. Then it was 12:05 p.m., and I struggled to get back to sleep. Perhaps it was because my anxiety about that bird reminded me too much of my romantic relationships.



I awakened officially about 2:30 p.m. - and found the kitchen in a bit of disarray. Apparently the bird searched for a way out there, before deciding to explore my sleeping quarters. I had a cat like that years ago - and it grew so desperate it started ripping my running shoes for attention.



A review of the bird's damage found some coupons off the kitchen table and on the floor. Some aluminum foil I use for wrapping meat and heating burritos had a hole in it. And yes, there WERE a couple of "spots" to give the bird away.



Later in the afternoon, I went for a jog. And on the way home, I found Carver and Spencer high school's teams playing at the Golden Park baseball stadium. It was hard to believe - a crowd of fans even smaller than the RedStixx used to draw.



And one other thing: have you seen the latest Captain D's commercial, with the woman in the restaurant talking about all the ways they prepare fish? I'm sorry -- but I've never seen a Captain D's with THAT many white folks inside. Not in Columbus, at least....



Are you a reader of this blog? If you are, please e-mail me. It gets lonely doing this by myself.