Friday, March 14, 2008

for 15 MAR 08: WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS?



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this item humorous, serious, or a little of both - but we offer these thoughts from time to time, as we keep a seventh-day Sabbath.)



As promised, today we return to an e-mail sent us earlier in the week by Daniel Jordan. We didn't note it at the time, but this is the man who was accused of locking up important computers at Cascade Hills Church. And who knows - he might have inspired the sermon series "The Emotion-Driven Life," with that message on anger management.



Daniel Jordan wrote a lengthy, thought-provoking letter to the Ledger-Enquirer in recent days, and he offered to share it with blog readers as well:



just so you know:



I was not bared from speaking about my story, only from contacting the church.



I did ask forgiveness from Bill Purvis as well as apologized for everything, including the things I said that although true, were hurtful. I offered to do whatever necessary to make things right.



It saddens me to know that during my employment at Cascade Hills I received excellent review scores and the maximum allowable, and in one case 35% (percent) more than the "maximum" raise at each review. In addition I did many things outside of my job description to help other departments and individuals. Now the very ones who offered praise and admonition; because of my willingness to "go the extra mile" during the time I was on staff, are now so eager to turn on me.



I by no means claim that I am blameless in any of this, but I do know that all of this arguing among Christians could not possibly help the cause of Christ, much less help the irreligious decide to set foot inside a church. It is time for this to end.



I have already asked forgiveness from Bill Purvis once, and if it is necessary I will ask again. I would have done it in person months ago



except I was told If I contacted or got near Bill I would be arrested again. However, I am sorry for anything I did to Bill, or anyone else and I do not have a problem telling him as many times as he needs to hear it.



I am sure of one thing, Christ is forgiving, and He proved that more than once as He walked among men.



In John Chapter 8 it reads, "The religion scholars and Pharisees led in a woman who had been caught in an act of adultery. They stood her in plain sight of everyone and said, "Teacher, this woman was caught red-handed in the act of adultery. Moses, in the Law, gives orders to stone such persons. What do you say?" They were trying to trap him into saying something incriminating so they could bring charges against him.



Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger in the dirt. They kept at him, badgering him. He straightened up and said, "The sinless one among you, go first: Throw the stone." Bending down again, he wrote some more in the dirt.



Hearing that, they walked away, one after another, beginning with the oldest. The woman was left alone. Jesus stood up and spoke to her.



"Woman, where are they? Does no one condemn you?"



"No one, Master."



"Neither do I," said Jesus. "Go on your way. From now on, don't sin."



(copied from THE MESSAGE)



Although we may never know what Jesus wrote in the dirt that day, it is fun to imagine what it might have been. Many speculate that he began to write out the sins of those standing around him. I would have to doubt that, it just doesn't seem like something Christ would have done, That would be to much like a modern day blog or comment section. Regardless of what he might have written, he forgave the women, encouraged her and sent her own her way warning her against sinning any further.



The Truth is, the people had every right by religious law and mans law to stone her. The Truth is, Jesus would have been well within his right to look around and pick up the biggest most jagged stone he could find and throw it as hard as he could. Even by his own statement, he was within his right to cast the first stone. He of course was the ONE among them without sin. I find comfort in knowing that, the one who could have by all counts cast the first stone, did not.



I understand there is a great deal of emotion and hurt involved on all sides and I can understand both sides wanting to get their point



across. It is human nature, and many of the points are valid. However, there is a time for healing and reconciliation, and I trust that this time has come, a time for an olive branch if you will.



I ask that everyone place your stones on the ground and walk away. Stop the hurting all of those involved and stop hurting the cause of Christ. Once again for anyone who has been hurt in this accept my apology and I ask your forgiveness. May Christ forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.



Thank You,



Dan Jordan



I can't really improve on anything Dan has written here. But it's interesting to me that hardly any of the rumbling involving Cascade Hills Church has involved what Bill Purvis is preaching. It's almost all about what's happening "Behind the Scenes" - and given all the speculation, I'm surprised those monthly tapes aren't immediate sellouts.



From my own experience, I know how hard it is to seek forgiveness from someone you've hurt. But at least I've done my part and sought it, based on the Bible. Several people have refused to reply to those offers, which is admittedly their choice. If Eliot Spitzer's wife wants to contact them with guidance, she can e-mail me.



Yet forgiveness is possible, even in difficult situations. Did you see Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton talking together at the U.S. Senate the other day? They didn't start pushing and shoving, or even pointing accusing fingers. That's all left, of course, to the campaign staffs....



SCHEDULED SUNDAY: A new Little League blow-up.... and it has nothing to do with Pioneer....






To offer a story tip, make a PayPal donation, advertise to our readers or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post your e-mail comment and offer a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 645 (- 71, 9.0%, record low)



TRUDGE REPORT, DAY 12-13: 1.0 miles walked, racquetball practice. Total: 38.15 miles run, 5.8 walked



The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author -- not necessarily those of anyone else in Columbus living or dead, and perhaps not even you.



© 2003-08 Richard Burkard, all rights reserved.




site stats