Friday, February 24, 2006

for 25 FEB 06: THE OTHER "L WORDS"



(BLOGGER'S NOTE: You may find this humorous, serious, or a little of both - but from time to time, we offer things to reflect upon as we keep the seventh-day Sabbath.)



"LOVE IS FOR LOSERS," proclaimed a T-shirt I passed in a Columbus supermarket a few weeks ago. A woman was pushing a cart, and a child was with her - but I think the presence of the child was more likely to keep me from introducing myself to her.



I took a quick check at the back of the woman's T-shirt as I passed by, but I don't recall seeing an explanation for "LOVE IS FOR LOSERS" on the other side. After all, it could be a reference to tennis....



I don't know this for sure, but "LOVE IS FOR LOSERS" struck me as one of those provocative shirts Abercrombie and Fitch might sell. At least this was different from several years ago - because the shirt covered the woman's body.



Why would someone wear a T-shirt declaring love is for losers? There could be many reasons. This woman might be divorced or separated -- which is a status some women seem to celebrate these days. Perhaps it's a new form of women's liberation, to overcome loving a man....



This T-shirt reminded me of a "family dance" I attended 13 years ago in Daytona Beach. It was in the middle of a church convention, and a woman showed up wearing a button saying something like: "happiness is being divorced." For a FAMILY dance, this woman was declaring happiness was something separate.



But another thought crossed my mind when I saw that T-shirt. The Bible says "God is love" - so is the Lord for losers? Don't so many ministers say Jesus gives you victory? And while we're at it, shouldn't they be preaching to some local high school football teams?



Welllll - come to think of it, God IS for losers. I know, because I've felt like one over the years. He's for everyone, really -- and He wants to help turn around losing lives. You might have to lose more things to do that, but drug habits can get pretty expensive.



We've just passed Valentine's Day, and you may have noticed I did NOT post a lengthy entry this year discussing my status as a "hopelessly single guy." I could have called myself a loser at love. But this year, I'm keeping in mind Someone bigger who loves me, anyway - even if He doesn't usually cook my dinner.



As I'm writing this, WFRC-FM is playing a wonderful upbeat song with these words in the refrain: "I cannot fail, Jesus prevails - for where I am, He is with me." Is He with you? Are you going with Him? Or are you still a loser - as in losing your way?



Your PayPal donations can build a better blog, and keep it independent-minded. To make a donation, offer a story tip or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



BURKARD BULK MAIL INDEX: 5177 (- 793)



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-06 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.




site stats