Tuesday, June 22, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



22 JUN 04: OUT WITH THE OLD



"The only thing constant in life is change." So said a French sage long ago. These days I would add a modern corollary to that - the only thing constantly in people's pockets is loose change.



Two developments on Monday reminded me of changes in my life, as well as in Columbus. Big Change #1 was the news that Wachovia Bank is buying SouthTrust, where I've had a checking account for more than 15 years. If I really wanted to
move my money to that other bank, I would have done it years ago.



SouthTrust is the second-biggest banking company in Alabama. Wachovia has a big presence in Atlanta. They have almost the same number of branches here - so look at it this way: Columbus is being pulled away from Alabama's clutches, in spite of itself.



Wachovia Bank of Charlotte has gained a reputation as a "mega-bank " It merged with First Union a couple of years ago. Now it's merging with SouthTrust. If I was a manager at CB&T, I'd make sure that hand-crafted conference table is bolted to the floor.



I found a "presentation for investors" on the Wachovia web site, which indicates the merger with SouthTrust will mean the closing of at least 130 branches across the south. With downtown offices practically across 13th Street from each other, I propose settling this with a tug of war during rush-hour.



But to be honest, the takeover of SouthTrust by Wachovia may have some advantages for me....


+ Maybe now I'll have a bank which can read the handwriting on my checks properly -- and quit siphoning off a nickel here and a dollar there.



+ Maybe now there won't be a two-dollar charge every month, to send me my cancelled checks. If I don't write many checks, the postage can't be that much more.



+ Maybe now I'll have a bank which doesn't charge you a monthly "check card" fee, even if it sits in your desk unused.



Big change #2 actually caught my attention nine days ago, but was confirmed only Monday afternoon. WRCG Radio has dropped "The Swingin' Years," a Sunday morning program of big band music. I would remind the managers of one of those
classic songs - "it don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing."



The last two Sunday mornings have found Fox Sports Radio on WRCG instead of big band music - along with an infomercial for some kind of product which (AHEM, as politely as I can put this) improves your stools. Now there's the perfect program to run before the St. Luke United Methodist Church service....



Your blog is hearing one person in particular is unhappy with the cancellation of "The Swingin' Years" - Mayor Bob Poydasheff. Huh?! You mean the Mayor isn't listening to the "Walt 'Baby' Love Gospel Countdown" show?



(And besides, "The Swingin' Years" was cancelled just as those classic cars in "The Great Race" came through Columbus Sunday. An old roadster with a home repair talk show on the radio simply doesn't seem right.)



The end of "The Swingin' Years" is the latest clear break by Archway Broadcasting from Chuck McClure's old ownership of WRCG. If they suddenly switch to Tampa Bay Devil Ray baseball games because of their winning streak, that will be the last straw.



First Clear Channel changed "The Unforgettable AM-1270" away from musical standards. That music then surfaced on FM-100.7, only to have Davis Broadcasting buy it out. With "The Swingin' Years" gone, what are big band music fans to do? Most turntables have been hijacked by hip-hop performers....



BLOG UPDATE: Uh-oh - we're hearing Monday's entry on Pastor Joseph Roberson has gained the attention of his higher-ups in the United Methodist Church. But please don't get the wrong idea. My source informs me this review has NOT reached the heaven level yet.



The Joseph Roberson for School Board campaign called me Monday, to "see about scheduling an interview." The call came from campaign treasurer/Associate Pastor Denise Walton, who asked for "the name of your organization." If I had
more of an organization, this blog would have paid advertising and make money.



Joseph Roberson was busy Monday night, appealing to the Muscogee County School Board from the audience. He asked for money to be restored for the "Reading Recovery" program. It's either that, or his church will need more Sunday School teachers for "Bible Recovery."



By the way, about that Joseph Roberson campaign sign on my apartment complex lawn - I called my landlord Monday, and he asked me to "take that sign down and trash it." He says he's not endorsing anyone for the school board! So apparently this is a case of sin first, then seek forgiveness later.



(Hmmmm - maybe I can broker a deal here, and arrange for Russell County's Harry McElwee to get some of HIS missing campaign signs back. You know, sort of like baseball trading cards....)



Now some other selected short subjects from Monday:


+ Superior Court Judge candidates Roxann Daniel and Bobby Peters appeared together on NBC-38's "Rise and Shine." I did NOT see this debate, so I can't comment about it - but that was clever scheduling. Get the candidates together at 6:00 on a Monday morning, when they're most likely to be cranky.



+ Beacon College and Graduate School unveiled a sign officially changing its name to "Beacon University." We wondered about that awkward name more than a year ago [22 Apr 03] -- and now we're wondering when the lighthouse in their logo is going atop its main building.



+ Miss Georgia contestants began interviews, as part of this year's pageant at the RiverCenter. If this contest was in Atlanta, several of them might have gone inside the Fulton County Jail to dance in a rap video....



(Can you believe that one? Rapper T-I got sexy dancers onto his floor at the Fulton County Jail, to help him shoot a rap video while he's serving a sentence! My only response is the name of that other rap star - Ludacris.)



+ Instant Message to Phenix-Girard Bank: Do you really think anyone believes your temperature sign in downtown Phenix City? Especially when it says 102 degrees at 1:20 p.m.? Don't you have enough assets to fix that thing?



SONG OF THE DAY: I first started working on this banking tune about ten years ago - borrowing from the classic hit of
Nancy Sinatra:



They keep making cash in North Carolina.


They keep buying bankers large and small - HA!


Now they're reaching deep inside Alabama, yeah....


And before long, you'll have just one bank to call.



This bank is named Wachovia.


And you should see them soon.


One of these days this bank


Is gonna Wach-o-vi-a you!



COMING WEDNESDAY: If the suit doesn't fit, why aren't you hearing complaints about it?....



To offer a story tip, make a donation or comment on this blog, write me - but be warned, I may post a reply.



If you quote from this in public somewhere, please be polite enough to let me know.



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.