Wednesday, January 14, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



14 JAN 04: TWO-BUCK PLUCK



Not long ago, another local blog praised me for being "a magnet for homeless people." I suppose that's a good thing - but sometimes I feel like I need to reduce the amount of iron in my diet.



For the third time in four weeks, a beggar in need approached me Monday afternoon. This time it happened in the parking lot of the Phenix City Walgreens store. It's no wonder someone would ask for help there - because without a coupon, items at Walgreens tend to be SO overpriced.



"Can you help me?" asked a middle-aged woman as I approached my car after using a Walgreens coupon to buy three of Nestle's new Toll House candy bars for a dollar. Maybe it's the store which needs help - because it offers so many things to improve your health, then puts candy on sale.



"I need two dollars to get my prescription filled," said the woman wearing a University of Alabama sweat-top and holding a lit cigarette. Apparently the prescription was not for nicotine patches.



"C'mon. I'll go in with you." I motioned the woman toward the door, prepared to put up two dollars for her prescription if she paid the rest.


"On second thought, never mind," the woman replied. Huh?! Maybe her problem is bipolar....



"We can go in together," I explained. "You put up your money for the prescription, and I'll provide the two dollars."


"Never mind," the woman answered without a real thank-you. She went back to her car, and sat in the passenger's seat with the door open - perhaps looking for someone with less sense.



I stood by my car looking at the seated woman, and suddenly faced a variety of choices:


+ Do I go back into Walgreens and report this woman? She had a driver with her, and they might have moved to CVS across the street - probably needing more money, since CVS has those annoying discount cards.



+ Do I go to her car, trying to negotiate or talk further? Or does "no mean no" in a case like this, too?



+ Do I pull out the digital camera in my car, and shoot her picture? No, she might have sued me for sexual harassment.



Since I have no wireless phone for calling police, I decided to presume the woman innocent until proven guilty. I got into my car and drove home - wondering if this beggar's pitch will still work once Medicare prescription drug cards come out.



(Come to think of it, why do you find ATM's at so many supermarkets - but NOT outside pharmacies? After all, some older people complain their prescriptions cost them hundreds of dollars....)



The woman probably didn't know it, but I had some extra preparation for this encounter. Earlier in the day, I heard the late minister J. Vernon McGee talk on the radio about his efforts to help needy people in downtown Los Angeles. He gave one man seven dollars - then was surprised to see that man in a newspaper, calling ministers a bunch of "saps." [True!]



BLOG UPDATE: The widow of Kenneth Walker revealed on WRBL Tuesday she didn't receive his personal belongings from the Muscogee County Sheriff's Department until last Friday. That gave the Sheriff nearly a month to remove any clue which might reveal the name of the deputy who opened fire.



A Georgia Bureau of Investigation Assistant Special Agent said Tuesday the state still hasn't interviewed "Deputy X," or the three men who rode with Kenneth Walker on the night of the shooting. The G.B.I. apparently is going through the attorneys for these people - which means valuable hours of legal fees are at stake.



The G.B.I. Special Agent admitted a report on the Kenneth Walker shooting may have to be filed without interviews with key figures. But that's OK - tabloid journalists work that way all the time.



Meanwhile, Columbus Council asked the City Attorney Tuesday to examine the creation of a citizen review board to monitor law enforcement. One big question will be how much power the board can have. For instance, can members have radar detectors in their cars - or be allowed to tag along behind high-speed chases?



The Rainbow/PUSH Coalition held a second day of marching outside the Government Center Tuesday, relating to the Kenneth Walker shooting. When I drove by, I didn't notice any new signs or chants. If they didn't work on Day One....



Let's see what else happened on Day Three of the week (at least the way I count it)....



+ Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama announced he'll seek reelection this year. In fact, he's already paid the qualifying fee of about $3,000. With a fee that steep, the lesson is clear - hold fundraising dinners BEFORE you announce you're running for something.



+ Jason Tapp of the Columbus Cottonmouths was named the East Coast Hockey League's "Saver of the Week." Imagine my surprise when I checked the ECHL web site, and found this award is NOT named after a bank.



+ The Columbus Wardogs announced they'll play an exhibition game in March against an arena football team from Australia. I've seen Australian Rules Football, so I'm warning the Wardogs now - if a player punches the ball over your head like a volleyball serve, they think it's legal.



+ Instant Message to the Columbus Water Works: Thanks for the brochure with your latest bill, informing me of the 11 awards you won last year. I couldn't help noticing none of them were for that new fountain in front of the RiverCenter.



(Columbus Water Works employees won a "Golden Manhole Society" honor and a "Golden Wrench Award" from the state. But I won't be impressed until the breakrooms get a Golden Fork Award from Brian Sharpe.)



AHEAD THIS WEEK: If Piggly Wiggly is back in, what big supermarket is out?....



© 2003-04 Richard Burkard, All Rights Reserved.